Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bad repro looks

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Some of worst were many of those WWII films from the 1960s and 70s.

"Operation Crossbow" is a great example. As much I am fond of Sophie Lauren she is right out of 1965 (complete with Jackie-0/Dr. Girlfriend hair) when the film takes place in 1944...

gallery_53491_2222_95.jpg

Not WWII, but Anthony Quin was in a movie about the Algerian War (1954-62) with Alain Delon, "Lost Command" that was filmed in 1966 (loosely based on Jean Larteguy's "The Centurions"). Alain Delon is so 1960s cool that in the final scene as he walks away from his military unit in Algiers (about 1957 or 58) not only is he dressed in perfect mid-1960s fashion there's a whole bunch of mid-1960s cars in the background...

20090202003820!Alain_Delon_in_Lost_Command_2.jpg

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Movies and...

...TV shows are about appeal. It may also be the case that the stars themselves don't want the period haircut. As far as the clothes are concerned, sometimes the costumers are trying to show what the average person thinks the era should look like.

It's worth remembering too that the golden era wasn't nearly as uniform as we'd imagine. People wore holdover fashions from previous eras, people bucked trends, regional styles and clothing production created unique looks.

Remember also that TV shows and movies are essentially recorded plays. We wouldn't freak out if a 1930s theme play was a bit off in some details. It's really about the story.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi,

At least in some cases, a given actor will not allow for his hair to get the proper cut.

I read that Robert Redford did such a thing when asked to have his hair cut in a minimally credible WW2 style, for his role of Maj. Julian Cook in A Bridge Too Far. This is probably common, and surely more in the past, when such standards were not much enforced.

Of course, as mentioned, many cinematographers are not specially keen with such details anyway, and will not bother. Hey, it has been plenty demonstrated that this (and dress accuracy, or historical accuracy, in general) is not a point that will really, significantly, influence audiences, and may well be ignored even by supposedly more knowledgeable people. Braveheart was immensely lousy in that respect, but this did not prevent the film from winning an Oscar for the wardrobe... :eusa_doh:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Revolutionary Road:
BadReproLooks.jpg

It was supposed to be late 50's, but the music, décor, slang, hair, and most of the clothes were a bizarre mishmash, much of it modern.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
C-dot said:
Revolutionary Road:
BadReproLooks.jpg

It was supposed to be late 50's, but the music, décor, slang, hair, and most of the clothes were a bizarre mishmash, much of it modern.

Which elements from this photo do you see that postdate the late 1950s?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
In this photo: the hairstyles and makeup, the chesterfield, the wallpaper, and the floor. The supporting actors homes (which is where they are sitting) and attire were a little more appropriate, even pre-dating the late 50's which is better, considering where they live - but this room has a lot of early 70's in it.

If you watch the film, you'll see it.

Elaina

One Too Many
Kind of a spoiler alert for Revolutionary Road

I think Leo's hair is pretty good, I have pics of family members with the same style, circa mid 50s. Her...well I kinda took from it that she was really depressed and taking care of her hair was not a priority, although I've seen pictures with hair kind of like that too.

To me, Kate Winslet in the film was so different because she was supposed to be so different then the women of the era, and ultimately didn't really care about anything at all, reflected in her appearance.

Dr Doran

C-dot said:

Leo's hair looks pretty close. Less goo.

The female's hair looks nothing like that, but am I mistaken to think that considerable variation existed in the late 1950s?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Elaina said:
I think Leo's hair is pretty good, I have pics of family members with the same style, circa mid 50s. Her...well I kinda took from it that she was really depressed and taking care of her hair was not a priority, although I've seen pictures with hair kind of like that too.

To me, Kate Winslet in the film was so different because she was supposed to be so different then the women of the era, and ultimately didn't really care about anything at all, reflected in her appearance.

You're quite right. In some shots, Leo's hair kind of has that modern-suburban-dad (fanned up at the front) kind of look... But it was her hair that bugged me. I wasn't keen on the story either... Perhaps that was what caused me to nit pick the film lol

repeatclicks

Practically Family
The Notebook. Although certain elements were correct, check out those shoes shes got on!

The%20Notebook%20-%20Movie%20Wallpaper%20-%2007.jpg

His hair seems a bit awful here, although he is supposed to be very blue collar in the film:
photo_25_hires.jpg

I cant find more photos, but if you watch the film (if you can make it past the 30 minute mark... what rubbish! :( ), they get most of the details right, but then screw up glaringly obvious bits of the outfits throughout the film.

Dr Doran

LizzieMaine said:
M*A*S*H, both the TV and movie versions. I realize it was all a Vietnam analogy, but seriously -- did anyone in the cast *ever* try to look even remotely of-the-period?

HATED IT.

I watched every episode as a kid. Now when I see it I shudder.

Edward

Bartender
Mash was bad in he period accuracy stakes - I still love it, though..... only holding off on buying the DVDs because i read that they are presented with the laughter track.... the version we had broadcast here in the UK came without the canned laughter, and was a better show for it.

Grease is pretty awful in the period accuracy stakes, especially the dance scene, in which pretty much everything is pure 70s. Especially Travolta's suit, which looks like a leftover from Saturday Night Fever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld