Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

avirex?

The general opinion is that they are bad. I get this impression from people who place high value on high fidelity to historical WWII A-2's, while Averix are not highly historical. Still, I've never heard anybody assert they are high quality leather jackets in terms of workmanship and materials.

Still, if you could get one for about $250, it would be a pretty good jacket for the price.

Nevertheless, I just checked their prices at US Wings; and they seem to be about $350 each.

For that price, you should be able to get a jacket from Flightsuits or US Authentic which would be pretty darn decent.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
There was a time when Avirex made nice "old-time" A-2s, but that's several years in the past now.

If you are interested in a *current-style USAF* A-2, there are lots of reasonable models available from Cooper (sold all over the place - for among the consistently lowest prices, see http://www.vtarmynavy.com/cooper_leather_flight_jackets.htm ), Flight Suits, US Wings, etc. And Avirex's own recent-issue model jackets are probably okay too.

But if you are interested in a 30s/40s reproduction A-2 with proper materials and cut, you have to look elsewhere. US Authentic is probably the best lower-price maker - their goatskin model, for a mere $270, is a steal considering its proper construction (with collar stand), proper wool knits, cotton lining, and semi-trim cut. Their horsehide models for $100 more are also darn good. Beyond that, Flight Suits/Gibson & Barnes makes very nice "historical" models in the $400s and $500s - very well made and pretty accurate, but cut to modern sizing. Then, there are the premium makers - Aero in Scotland, Eastman in England, McCoys in New Zealand, Lost Worlds in NYC, Ricksons in Japan. There are a bewildering variety of choices, but standard pricing tends to run in the over-$500 to almost-$1000 range, apart from occasional sales, special runs made with bargain hides, lightly used samples, etc. And sizing can be an issue with these, as they hew pretty closely to the original patterns (and 30s/40s folks were a lot smaller and thinner than most of us!)

Anyway, you'll hear a million different opinions about repro A-2s, and all the makers' different versions have their fans. It's really a great time to be interested in this stuff, as there are so many choices out there, and so much great information available in forums like this one...

Flitcraft

One Too Many
You might want to check out Ebay. Depending on how good you want it to look, you might find a bargain.
I've seen some of the older Avirex that were pretty reasonable.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Also, be aware that there are two Real McCoy's currently operating, one in Japan and one in New Zealand. Personally I think that RMJ has an edge over RMNZ, but both of these companies along with Buzz Rickson's are at the top of the heap. BTW, the Avirex A-2s made for the Japanese markets are of a MUCH finer quality both in terms of material and accuracy than the tripe offered Stateside.

Havana

One of the Regulars
I have what I would definitely call a high quality Avirex A-2. I bought it used in 1984. I believe it was only worn a few times when I bought it. It has one of the best off the rack fits I've ever seen. It was, until a year ago, my primary jacket. It has held up extremely well with over 20 years of wear. Even the cuffs and waistband are still tight. The lining has become discolored but has not torn or sagged. The leather itself shows it's wear. It looks the part of a well worn jacket. If I could get another jacket like this one, I would. The bad news is: I can't get one like this again unless I find a vintage treasure on ebay. Avirex today, like so many, is just shadow of their former selves. Their qualilty seemed to really go down around 1990 and has stayed down. The materials, the stitching, and the whole jacket has plumeted in my opinion. Mine was made in New York. Many now are Chinese or Korean made. When people familiar with today's Avirex see my jacket, they're actually surprised that it is an Avirex. Listen to DoctorStrange, there are better alternatives out there today. If cost is a primary concern, I would take a current Cooper over a current Avirex. If you can spend a little more, US Authentic makes a great jacket for a reasonable price. If the sky's the limit, see Aero or Eastman. And don't forget Ebay.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Avirex

If you can find a late 70s to early 80s Avirex A-2 go for it. At that time Jeff and Jackie Clymer ran Avirex pretty much as a hobby. There are a few things wrong with the details of those early horsehide jackets but the general 'look, fit and feel' is better than many of the top-end repros sold today. They are a skinnier fit, too. My son stole mine and wears it all the time.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I got an older Avirex horsehide off ebay and it is pretty decent. One piece back and 2 piece sleeves. I really like the horsehide. I know it's not dead on for accuracy but it's still a great jacket. I also have a Cooper goat and it's also a decent looking A-2 for the money.

fedoralover

GregNYC

One Too Many
Avirex A-2s are painted

I was in the Avirex store in NYC and noticed a nick in one of the A-2s at the shoulder. You saw the un-died leather color underneath. So I asked the manager whether the A-2s are painted or died (drum-died or vegetable-died). In a few days she called me back and said painted. The paint give the horsehide a papery-thin feel and seems like it will crack and peel. It will definitely scratch because the color is just a thin layer. It won't wear like a died jacket, to a light base in the high-friction spots.

So I passed on it. Avirex G-1's are a lot better. There are two kinds, a NOS style that is a better grade of died goatskin, and a current-model that is also papery and crackle-y. I bought one of the NOS ones for a pretty good discount at a non-Avirex store. It's a larger size so I can layer sweaters underneath it. I wear it not as an authentic jacket worn in the traditional way, but as something that looks pretty good and keeps me warm in the NYC winters!

For a low-cost G-1 that looks pretty good and was constructed in the spirit (if not the details) of authenticity, I'd recommend U.S. Authentic, Cooper, and Flightsuits, in about that (increasing) order of price.

--Greg

Tim P

New in Town
I recently took posession of a goatskin russet A2 from Avirex from ebay. for the princely sum of ?Ǭ£65 about $130. construction wise it is all there, zip is ok, lining is correct weave and colour no nasty surprises with the knits and the leather is supple in the extreme.
while it is made with all the intrinsic features of a wartime A2 the proportions are a little closer to modern with a slightly fuller sleeve and shoulders. the pocket flaps re not styled like any ww2 I have seen... what this means is that I can have the "look" without the sometimes constricting ww2 fit. so when I am not wearing a more authentically cut jacket I can knock about in this. It is superbly comfortable and well made (if not authentically). i have waived a2 snobbery here and just regard it as a leather jacket. The price was right.

Avirex does many takes on the A2, many are so far removed from the wartime design as to be abberations. That would not be so bad if they called them bomber style jackets or similar. The one I have lacks handwarmer pockets, a big no no, and multi piece construction back. Close but no cookie.

first post.

Tim.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
thanks guys.
I had an Avirex G2 in the 80s & was generally told that Avirex was a fine brand & offered many authentic reproductions.
I hadnt seen them mentioned lately & had come to find that the Avirex store in NYC,TheCockpit, was downsized & generally seems to have crossed over to innercity gear.
Thanks for all your recommendations, I've picked up a used Avirex A2 from reenactor. its a dark brown, wartime cut A2. I like the classic bell-shape pull talon zipper. Its a bit snug , but I was told they often stretch out.
Seventyfive bux!

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Had lunch with Mudinyereye today.
February NYC snow on the ground, but `50s degrees! Pefect for my avirex A2. Didnt even have to zipp it all the way up.
Mud inspected it & assured me that its one of the better early avirex A-2.

Now I jsut have to find one a size bigger so I can fit a sweater under it....

shamus

Suspended
One war time manufacturer was known for the rounded collar. I forget which one... maybe raincoat or that K one...

Throw a patch on that jacket and no one will be looking at the collar.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
One size bigger than ~ ?

MrBern said:
Had lunch with Mudinyereye today.
February NYC snow on the ground, but `50s degrees! Pefect for my avirex A2. Didnt even have to zipp it all the way up.
Mud inspected it & assured me that its one of the better early avirex A-2.

Now I jsut have to find one a size bigger so I can fit a sweater under it....

I've got one for sale here in the classified section,........maybe your style?http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=6651

Paden

Vendor
Hello everybody,

I am new in this forum and from Germany, so sorry for my bad english.
Avirex USA sold the lable name to Europe and Japan.
So the jackets in Europe are coming not from the ?É?°SA.
They also make a fashion programm.
I think, they make the jackets in south america.
Jacky and jeff Clyman are not very satisfiets with this and they try to comeback with their US products into the European market.
Also they are current maker for the goatskin A2 and G1.
I meet them in Berlin and they told me.
Hope it was all true!!

HAMMER

New in Town
Avirex

I have a 2005 Avirex horsehide A-2, it looks great, one piece back, authentic clasp, two-piece arms, but the horsehide, while having a nice jerky grain, is a bit thin. Legendary USA sent me two to choose from and the other was super thin, but the one I kept acceptable for the warm Southern Cal climate I live in, so I kept it, and am happy with it as sort of a current A-2 in horsehide.

It does not compare with Aero heavy or even medium horsehide of course, but was around $300. It looks authentic, just doesn't feel authentic as a WWII replica. But it is perfectly fine as a current A-2 with WWII features. Don't forget Avirex is, after all, the current air force contractor. Cooper and Alpha have had contracts too, and I think the Avirex is the best current one, although I have an older Cooper G-1 that is super thick goatskin. Not too impressed with current Cooper goatskin.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Issued Avirex A-2s

Hi Folks,

From time to time one can find an issued Avirex A-2 on e-bay. They are easy to spot because they have simple white tags with SPO numbers (no maps or pin-up girls in their linings) and velcro patch holders on the chest. They are not exact copies of WWII A-2s as they were designed to fit the modern aircrewman who is much larger than his WWII counterpart. Nonetheless, they are very well made with nice, grainy goatskin finished in a dark seal brown. They are worlds apart from the typical "mall jacket" Avirex sells to the general public.

Atticus

JWG

Familiar Face
For whatever it's worth, the thin hide is actually quite authentic with respect to WW2 A2s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe