Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
So far no luck. The green ogre laughed at the vinegar and my fingernail! Baking soda next.

Baking soda failed spectacularly. All it did was spread the green out over an area 3 times the stain.

So I tossed it in the bucket with a gallon of naptha, hoping to lose a few other faint stains as well. No luck at all! The hat now looks like a total wreck, and it gave the sweatband a white, powdery look to boot, although it remains flexible.

Next step: Ritt (sp?) dye in a deep green shade. Nothing to lose now. :)

masiaka

Familiar Face
I'm looking for a wide brim hat for everyday wear in the winter and harsh weather wear in the summer. I have a crushable Stetson Jeremiah that's almost falling apart, and I'm looking to upgrade. I'm a college student, so I have to brave the elements on my way to class. The floppy brim of my current hat just doesn't cut it, and it never has. From what I can tell, the Akubra Pilbara is closest to what I want. It has been suggested that I get something with a more moderate brim this go 'round like the Akubra Stockman instead of an outback style hat, so I won't have to deal with wearing a large, stiff brim indoors. I wouldn't be opposed to that, but i just don't see anything less than 3 inch brim being as useful out of doors (where I spend more than half of my time). My biggest concern is that a compromise will be the worst of both worlds, unweildly indoors and not quite wide enough outdoors so I've already decided that if I get a new hat it will either be wide brim or not.

So here are my questions: Does anyone have the Pilbara or the Stockman and like 'em? Alternate suggestions?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I'm looking for a wide brim hat for everyday wear in the winter and harsh weather wear in the summer. I have a crushable Stetson Jeremiah that's almost falling apart, and I'm looking to upgrade. I'm a college student, so I have to brave the elements on my way to class. The floppy brim of my current hat just doesn't cut it, and it never has. From what I can tell, the Akubra Pilbara is closest to what I want. It has been suggested that I get something with a more moderate brim this go 'round like the Akubra Stockman instead of an outback style hat, so I won't have to deal with wearing a large, stiff brim indoors. I wouldn't be opposed to that, but i just don't see anything less than 3 inch brim being as useful out of doors (where I spend more than half of my time). My biggest concern is that a compromise will be the worst of both worlds, unweildly indoors and not quite wide enough outdoors so I've already decided that if I get a new hat it will either be wide brim or not.

So here are my questions: Does anyone have the Pilbara or the Stockman and like 'em? Alternate suggestions?

Both of those hats are great Akubra's and really ANY Akubra you might get would meet your criteria. I personally have a Fawn Cattleman I got fron David Morgan up in Washington State and love it. It is my "barn" hat I use often when working my horses. GREAT hat with a BIG brim!! My first Akubra was a Bushman I got from DM over 32 years ago and STILL wear today even though it is quite beat up :) It has a 3 1/4" brim, bound as the Cattleman's and comes in an open crown which allows you to crease it as YOU want rather than as the pre-creased Cattleman and Pillbara and the brim can go up/down any way you want. It only comes in one color but the color it comes in is a very versitale one combining with lots of others well. The bound edge helps keep a big brim from getting "floppy" as it ages and all three of these hats have that so I would not worry about that with either. Mine have gotten less stiff but no way are they "floppy". Here's a pic of my newest Bushman (4yo) for you to consider:
19870008.jpg

(It's also the hat on my avitar) Let us know what you get and post some pics and welcome to the Lounge :)

Last edited:

masiaka

Familiar Face
Good to know. :) I have a Panama hat that I wear in fair weather during the summer which I reblocked slightly and I think it turned out well, and I reblocked the stetson to a telescopic crown and... well, it turned out. I think I'm going to stick with a precreased hat and just rework it to suit my tastes.

DM's website says the cattleman also has a 3 1/4" brim, so I think I was underestimating the usefulness of a shorter brim; I'm just used to wearing 4" high and wide cowboy hats. I'm no cowboy; though, so I thought I would dress more appropriately. (Well, I was told that I can't pull off the cattleman crease very well. :p)

I'm thinking of either:
1) Ordering a sand colored Pilbara for the extra half inch of brim compared to a Kiandra, and then rolling the sides of the brim to get a similar look, attaching a chin strap, replacing the leather hat band with a beaded one, and pushing the front pinch in at the back for a more square "western" look without actually having a cattleman crease.
or
2) Ordering a black Stockman, pushing in the front pinch at the front, and wearing it as a pseudo-fedora in Indiana Jones's spirit, but not the same look.

EDIT: The Stockman has been discontinued, so it looks like I'm between the first option and a charcoal Banjo Paterson (eventually) reblocked to a pinched telescope and with the leather hat band replaced by 1/2" grossgrain ribbon.

P.S. To the Edit and another question: I think the easiest way to get the color (off-white) and brim size (3 1/2") that I want is to buy a hat with a completely different crown from what I want since the crown is really the only thing I can change. I've decided to get The Boss from Akubra. How hard would it be to reshape the crown of that? The way they block the hat wouldn't have any creases that would be impossible to get out, would it?

Last edited:

masiaka

Familiar Face
Sorry for spamming this thread with questions, but I have a couple more. Are the Cattleman and the Bushman from Akubra the same weight of felt? Both are described as "imperial quality" but I've read on the forum that it varies from one hat model to another. Last question (for now), what is the practical difference between the imperial felt on these two hats and the premium felt used in the heritage line? I know the technical details that Akubra gives, but what does that mean for me? Will it keep me warmer on a cool day, stand up to a good rainstorm better, or is it just better quality of the same to last longer?

The more I think about my hat decision the more I realize that what I want may not be what I need, so I think I'm just going to soak up knowledge for now and hold off on making a decision until I know what I'm doing and so far the only thing that I know is that "crushable" is not for me.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Sorry for spamming this thread with questions, but I have a couple more. Are the Cattleman and the Bushman from Akubra the same weight of felt? Both are described as "imperial quality" but I've read on the forum that it varies from one hat model to another. Last question (for now), what is the practical difference between the imperial felt on these two hats and the premium felt used in the heritage line? I know the technical details that Akubra gives, but what does that mean for me? Will it keep me warmer on a cool day, stand up to a good rainstorm better, or is it just better quality of the same to last longer?

The more I think about my hat decision the more I realize that what I want may not be what I need, so I think I'm just going to soak up knowledge for now and hold off on making a decision until I know what I'm doing and so far the only thing that I know is that "crushable" is not for me.

Being an owner of both hats you have asked about (a Fawn Cattleman and two Bushmans, one 32 yo, the other 4 yo) I have to say that they are the EXACT same wieght and finish of the Imperial grade felt. As for thedifference btwn the Heritage vs Imperial felt from the two Heritage felt Akubra's that I have seen and handled, I would have to say it's mainly in the finishing of the felts as they both were a bit smoother in feel than my Imperial grade felts. Not really all that much to my mind really but these hats do have a bigger and somewhat softer sweat in them which adds to the difference. As for water /weather wearability I feel sure there id really NO difference. As to being WARMER in COOL weather BOTH of mine are equal. When it gets really COLD I find that NO brimmed fur felt can keep my folicley challenged haed as warm as a wool Beret or Watch cap or the down filled hood on my parka :) I have a 32 yo Bushman thats STILL truckin' along so how long do you want your hat to last ?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Keeping in mind that there will be variance from run to run, the heritage felt is probably going to last a bit longer than the imperial before it needs a reblock. That having been said, the imperial felt is nothing to shrug off. I have an imperial grade Federation IV and it's my go-to rain hat. I don't hesitate to wear it in bad weather. But the added wild hare fur in the heritage felt will probably keep it going just a bit longer.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
masaika,
I have a question for you, what do you you do for a living? Do you spend your days in the broiling 100+degree heat, the driving rain, swirling dust of a livestock drive as do many of the folks who buy Akubra's do down in Australia. A firm that has made a product since 1875 and sold to folks who made their living and STILL do in those kind of conditions tells me that I am NOT gonna wear my hat out with what I'm gonna subject it to :) It's an AKUBRA, pick out the style you want and get it :)

masiaka

Familiar Face
It's an AKUBRA, pick out the style you want and get it :)
Haha, Part of my problem is picking which one I think looks better! I keep thinking that If I can find something that makes one style better than another it will make my decision easier. Unfortunately, I'm a college student and there's no way I'll be able to afford one of each.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Haha, Part of my problem is picking which one I think looks better! I keep thinking that If I can find something that makes one style better than another it will make my decision easier. Unfortunately, I'm a college student and there's no way I'll be able to afford one of each.
Well either one will probably last your lifetime of use. Myself, I'm partial to the Bushman for a few reasons, first, it's color. A very nice Olive/Brown color which works well with a lot of other colors and truly does not show as much dirt as some other colors. Secondly, I like the tall, straight open crown which has allowed me to crease it as I want. Thirdly, wearing it in the style I do allows it to "fit" with a wider range of clothing styles than my "dinkum Aussie" style Cattleman which I do like a whole lot, but one of my horses doesn't hence it's two total immersions in a stock tank :) Go for the Bushman you'll like it :)

scooter

Practically Family
I need guidance on a scenario. I recently purchased a Whippet which was described to me as "in fair to good condition". Pics were exchanged and it appeared the felt was in good shape with a minor stain or two. The ribbon was badly sweat stained and this was evident in the photos. A price ($125) was agreed upon and we agreed to split shipping. I was pleased as punch at the thought of owning this hat, but was surprised when the hat arrived.

As it turns out, the sweat band on this hat was GLUED in and separating, I could find no evidence of stitching at all. Obviously, the hat will need serious attention for the glue issue, and the sweat sewn in, over and above the ribbon staining. I have sent the hat to Clean A Hat for needed attention.

I guess my question is this, did I pay an appropriate amount for this hat (size 7 1/2)? I know these hats are expensive and highly prized, especially in the larger sizes, but I think I might have tempered my bidding a bit had I known in advance of the glued sweatband and such. Perhaps I am way off base, and got a great deal and just don't recognize it.

Anyone care to comment?

mattface

Practically Family
I need guidance on a scenario. I recently purchased a Whippet which was described to me as "in fair to good condition". Pics were exchanged and it appeared the felt was in good shape with a minor stain or two. The ribbon was badly sweat stained and this was evident in the photos. A price ($125) was agreed upon and we agreed to split shipping. I was pleased as punch at the thought of owning this hat, but was surprised when the hat arrived.

As it turns out, the sweat band on this hat was GLUED in and separating, I could find no evidence of stitching at all. Obviously, the hat will need serious attention for the glue issue, and the sweat sewn in, over and above the ribbon staining. I have sent the hat to Clean A Hat for needed attention.

I guess my question is this, did I pay an appropriate amount for this hat (size 7 1/2)? I know these hats are expensive and highly prized, especially in the larger sizes, but I think I might have tempered my bidding a bit had I known in advance of the glued sweatband and such. Perhaps I am way off base, and got a great deal and just don't recognize it.

Anyone care to comment?

Even though the item was misrepresented, if you can get it put right for less than $100 you probably did alright. If it were me though I might ask the seller for a partial refund. I think splitting the cost of refurbishment would be fair if they failed to disclose the damage.

PhilS

One of the Regulars
Quick question: What's the market range for a lightly used Akubra Campdraft, mid-brown color? I'm considering selling one and don't know how to price it. Also, who's the go-to person for disastrous stains? I got some undefined New York sludge on a silver belly Open Road. I tried to clean it with some hat cleaning spray I bought at the costumer in the garment district, then with dishwasher soap. Now it looks worse than Gorbachov's forehead. I'd hate to throw the hat away.

2075rami

One of the Regulars
My first "more real" hat

I picked up my first fedora over the weekend, and since my hat budget didn't have close to $75 or $100 in it, I picked up a budget stingy brim one made of polyester and rayon. I've worn it to work the last couple of days, and have received tons of compliments. I think this look definitely beats the usual redneck lid I usually wear to work (A Jeff Gordon Dupont baseball cap). I tried to post some pics, but can't get it to work for some unknown reason.[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld