Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Frahm and modern lingerie

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
I had the most bizarre Art Frahm moment running between trains on my way to a photoshoot on Saturday. I had on a cute lace garter belt I'd just bought from H&M the day before, and I was carrying 3 dozen doughnuts and a box of Krispy Kreme coffee. The garter belt turned out to be stretchier than I anticipated, but it was cute and comfy so I gave it no thought till I was running up the escalator and the whole rig slipped over my hips and down to my knees, taking the stockings with it.

Of course, now I'm stuck on an escalator with giant boxes of doughnuts and no way to straighten the darn things. If I'd only had celery instead of doughnuts I could have just taken a picture then and skipped the shoot. (Conveniently, the conductor was watching people run for the train and was so surprised he didn't close the doors and drive off without me.)

Today's message: Though I imagine they do quite well for fun underwear for surprising your sweetie, lingerie by modern chain stores is not necessarily built for actually wearing outside!

BV - Le sigh!

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Pretty much, yes. ^_^

But has anyone else noticed this sort of thing when dealing with modern lingerie? Do designers assume that women wearing garter belts won't be leaving the house? Because I can't imagine anyone gave a moment's thought to having to walk in the thing. I guess most women wear hose, so maybe the designers just assumed that garter belts are only "playwear" these days.

bewildered,
BV

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
But has anyone else noticed this sort of thing when dealing with modern lingerie?

I had something similar happen with a pair of thigh highs. I normally go with the stockings and garter belt/girdle route, but one day I threw on an old pair of thigh highs. Well, the elastic that holds up the stockings apparently wasn't up to par in this pair, and as I was walking about the office, the stockings started to creep down. I tried to discretely adjust in the bathroom, but at one point I had a stocking round my ankle, so off they came :rolleyes: My question is, why don't these technical difficulties ever occur at home? lol

LadyDeWinter

A-List Customer
jitterbugdoll said:
I had something similar happen with a pair of thigh highs. And at one point I had a stocking round my ankle, so off they came lol

The same happened to me in the office. I wore hold up stockings but later in the morning they didn't hold up properly and I too had the stockings round my ankle. I tried to fix it in the bathroom but it did not work. So I put the off and threw them away. Fortunately nobody saw me. :mad:

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Oh no! That sounds terrible!

Hehe. That site is so funny... if you guys havent's seen it, it's on LILEKS where they talk about Art Frahm's pinups. Celery+Gravity=Art... lol

I had something happen with a vintage girdle... I bought it at an estate sale and didn't realize that the garter straps were starting to go at the seams. I walked around the vintage expo in Santa Monica for a long time (and that was the most uncomfortable thing in the world... lemme tell you) and then "POP" one gave loose. so they were sagging in the back. I tried to walk so you wouldn't notice. Then "POP" the other one went on the other side. Finally one last "POP" and one hose started going down. I made it quick to the bathroom and took the thing off, came out and harrassed my boyfriend at the time to put it in his man purse because my oh-so-cute-but-not-practical woven purse didn't have room for a girdle. :D

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Lauren said:
I had something happen with a vintage girdle... I bought it at an estate sale and didn't realize that the garter straps were starting to go at the seams. I walked around the vintage expo in Santa Monica for a long time (and that was the most uncomfortable thing in the world... lemme tell you) and then "POP" one gave loose. so they were sagging in the back. I tried to walk so you wouldn't notice. Then "POP" the other one went on the other side. Finally one last "POP" and one hose started going down. I made it quick to the bathroom and took the thing off, came out and harrassed my boyfriend at the time to put it in his man purse because my oh-so-cute-but-not-practical woven purse didn't have room for a girdle. :D

Hahaha! I love the sound effects. I can just picture you guys like:
*pop*
Lauren: :eek:
Boyfriend: "What was that?"
Lauren: "nothing."
*pop*
Lauren: :eek:

Hee. ^_^

olive bleu

One Too Many
That's too funny Lauren, your Beau must have REALLY loved that!!lol lol

I have had more than one episode with stockings falling down. I will never forget one time in particular, i was walking down the street and saw a really cute guy coming toward me. I was congratulating myself on having such a cute outfit on and prepared myself to pass. I tried to look as alluring as possible(whilst not letting on that i noticed him in the least)And as i was passing him, right on cue, both stockings let go and fell together to my ankles!! Suddenly. there i was with a puddle of nylon floating around my ankles!(horror)

I was so embarrased, i ran in to the nearest store, hid behind a rack of clothing and hiked them back up:D

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
A tip for stay-ups/thigh highs that won't stay up: Put a little soap on the silicone stripe and it'll cling to your skin again.
I got the because as a child I had one of those rubber spiders that crawl down windows and when you washed it in soap it would become sticky again!

MissHuff

A-List Customer
BettyValentine said:
I guess most women wear hose, so maybe the designers just assumed that garter belts are only "playwear" these days.

I personally hate to wear hose and I'm sure that a lot of you out there feel the same way. They are just not at all comfortable to wear. I have also found that modern day garters really are just for show but I can't even get them to co-operate in the boudoir sometimes! plastic clasps and way too stretchy. They should definitely take a page from history and put out some nice vintage-y garter belts that can actually function as everyday wear.

I've had some pretty good experiences with the thigh-highs that are suppose to stay up. I just get em on as high as possible when I'm going out for the night and don't want to have to worry about them falling. I'm sure my thick thighs help that though lol.

Mojito

One Too Many
That story is hilarious! And to think I believed that a situation like this existed only in Art Frahm's celery-induced hallucinations. Not funny at the time, though - sagging hose can really throw you off your stride, literally and figuratively.

olive bleu

One Too Many
ShrinkingViolet said:
A tip for stay-ups/thigh highs that won't stay up: Put a little soap on the silicone stripe and it'll cling to your skin again.
I got the because as a child I had one of those rubber spiders that crawl down windows and when you washed it in soap it would become sticky again!

great tip! who knew?:)

See this is why I hang out here!lol

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Don't you guys realize that modern women only wear lingerie at home? At most they only wear their push-up bra, on which the bra straps are showing. Panties are definitely optional.

Anyway, I gave up on stay-up hose years ago. I've put too many pairs in my purse.

The exciting news is that I actually bought a modern girdle at Victorias Secret that doesn't suck. It is stretchy with light support and wonder of wonders, metal garters!!!!

Anyway, the trick to keeping the garter belt up is to put panties over it, you guys DO still wear panties, right?

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ha! Panties over a garter belt! Great idea! That never even occurred to me. But then, I've never had a garter belt slip off of me, even a modern one. My hips are much too big compared to my waist for that!

But stay-ups, forget it. They're never stayed up on me, and I assure you, it's not because of a lack of thigh!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Ha! Panties over a garter belt! Great idea! That never even occurred to me. But then, I've never had a garter belt slip off of me, even a modern one. My hips are much too big compared to my waist for that!

But stay-ups, forget it. They're never stayed up on me, and I assure you, it's not because of a lack of thigh!

Ha! Same here! But I've done the panties over garter belt before to keep a slimmer line for dresses. It works like a charm!

Jenautica

Familiar Face
Miss_Bella_Hell said:

Worse yet, if they do stay up, most leave a nasty red ring around your upper thigh. That's attractive!:eek:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe