Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett + Kind Friend = THIS

EricH

One of the Regulars
Always fascinating where these threads go. Art, given your insight that older hats are generally of higher quality than newer ones should I infer from that that older er vintage hatters, say of a pre pre 1984 vintage, are of a better quality than newer ones? ;)

Eric
(Always dancing, prancing and spinning about in his VS hats)

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
LOL...you may infer anything Eric....can't stop you.:rolleyes: I only use the 1984 date( in relation to Borsalino) because thats the year the family sold the company to a corporation ( read that bean counters) and the quality suffered greatly from it.
As for older hatters?...geeze, I can't really comment since I'm such a young guy. :D I do know there are hatters out there that have forgotten more than I know ( think Gus Miller- 56 yrs in the trade) that have the right to call themselves Masters, where I do not.
I DO know that the industry was so much larger that the individual hatter had SO many more sources and there was SO much competition in the felting industry that the basic felt had to be high quality to survive the competition.

Sorry for the off topic Marc, I just need to douse the flames once in a while.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
I stand corrected

It has been shown to me that there really DOES exist a 2000 grit sandpaper so in order to keep what info I give as accurate as I can, please accept my apology and know that I was incorrect. I still can tell you with reasonable certainty that it is not industry standard to use this grit.

Kevin Popejoy

One of the Regulars
Oh. My. God.

I didn't know what you were referring to when you mentioned the sterling beaver.

I googled it.

Don't ever let me do that again.

I'm going to go hide now.

k.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Wow ! Another classic hat by Art. I think Hatco could use you are their stylist and learn a thing or two about hats .

Steven

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
EricH seems to have gotten something in his VS hat box that didn't come in mine. Is that what comes in the new boxes, Art?

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Davidson said:
I've been looking for a fedora in this color. But I don't want one full of powder to get that verr light gray / silver color. Is the fur bleached or dyed? Anyone know of non-custom (e.g. Akubra) hats in very light grays for comparison?

Thanks!

I have been looking for one around the traps Down Under but that exact shade is more reminiscent of the old Stetsons and a Hueckel I have.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Kevin & David,
Welcome to my world..doesn't matter what is said ( in most cases nothing) but I can only assume that either he isn't making his own hats again ( and claiming them) or doesn't have any business, otherwise he'd be making hats instead of pooping in others. I wish I had that kind fo time.:D

jeboat

One of the Regulars
Old vs New hats or Vintage vs Crap

To compare new hats with vintage is a waste of time. I have plenty of both and you just cannot buy a new hat worth a dime. Borsalino gets a lot of heat and deservedly so, but Hatco produces crap also. I also believe that Akubra's quality is dropping off...

If you really want a good lid save up some money and get one from the several excellent hatters we have on this forum. They are affordable and take a lot of pride in their work. They also will make good on their products if you have any kind of problem.

jeboat:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust