Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone Know Much About The Devil-Doll?

1936, Lionel Barrymore & Maureen O'Sullivan. A little plot summary & info here... http://www.moria.co.nz/horror/devildoll36.htm .

I watched this on Halloween and was intrigued....not a GREAT film, but it had its moments and a unique plot. I wondered, though, if anyone here had any idea how they did the scenes with the shrunken people? They're really quite amazing for '36. I loved the one where the girl devil-doll (dressed rather like a gun moll) came to life in the little girls arms as she slept in bed...climbed down the bedding, went to the master bedroom & used a satin slipper to climb up to the dressing table to steal the jewels! The slipper was bigger than she, and it really was well done. The other when the scientist's wife made the dolls dance together.....really well done, better than some cinematography seen more recently!

Anyway, I became intrigued by it & wondered if anyone had any idea how it was done, or any other info about it. Thanks! Ang

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Huh - on first glance, I thought you were talking about Devil Doll, the horrid 1963 flick featured on MST3k. :)

Mortimer Snerd in "Fatal Attraction!"

BTW, the worst movie ever made is, IMHO, 1965's "Monster A Go-Go," which is unwatchably awful and dull right up to its insulting ending, basically summarized as "and then, there was no monster, and none of this ever happened. The end." :)

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
dr greg said:
I recall 'The Horror of Party Beach' as being about as bad as it gets, and I haven't seen it since I was 9 years old, when you remember a movie that long for being crap...it's gotta be.

Ah...bad movies are one of my specialties.

"The Horror of Party Beach" - I'll have to disagree. It is a bad, bad movie - it, too, was on Mystery Science Theater 3000 - and I love it. It's a gleefully stupid little movie, that doesn't take itself too seriously. It just takes its premise - ridiculous hot-dog-mouthed sea monsters created by nuclear waste wreak havoc on east-coast beach parties while being fought by scientists with sodium - and runs with it. It's bad, but it's fun bad. Plus, I have a soft spot for the Del-Aires, the surf band featured in the film. They're just dorky enough, in a charming way, to be cool.

Of course, I'm a b-movie geek, so my judgement may not be sound. :)

Hmmmmm. I can't quite easily come up with something I feel that strongly about, at least not this early in the morning. But I do recommend the Devil-Doll.....if for no other reason than to see Barrymore in "drag" as an old woman running a doll shop. And of course the doll scenes.

Ang

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Atomic Glee said:
BTW, the worst movie ever made is, IMHO, 1965's "Monster A Go-Go," which is unwatchably awful and dull right up to its insulting ending, basically summarized as "and then, there was no monster, and none of this ever happened. The end." :)

matchu12.jpg
That is an awful movie. Al Admason's Dracula vs Frankenstein is also awful. The hero gets zapped in the end by Dracula's magic ring because his contract was up and he was unavailable for reshoots. Dracula is played terribly by Adamson's accountant, and he has a beard and an afro. Horrid!!!

But funny.

The worst movie, the one that has no entertainment or production value whatsoever, is Troll 2. The worst movie EVAR!
troll2_cover4.jpg

AS to Devil Doll, it is a cool little movie (ar-ar-ar). The little people effects had been used previously by John Fulton in Bride of Frankenstein. In Devil-Doll they are use more extensively, a combination of mechanical effects, large props, in camera tricks and proocess shots. It still fools the eye very credibly. The movie was directed by the great Tod Browning, who made the other creepy classics Dracula, Freaks, and the now lost London After Midnight. So, just for it being his last (or second last - can't remember) movie, it's worth watching.
browning4.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld