Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any good tan cowhide oil leather jackets? budget - unlimited

sougey

New in Town
Hey all I'm trying to find a tan coloured cowhide oiled leather jacket between 1-4grand US which is basically unlimited hence the title and preferably a jacket made for riding but if you know any that aren't that would also be welcome.

I saw a pic of this leather jacket (Actor Mads Mikkelsen 1990s : r/OldSchoolCool (reddit.com)) and immediately wanted it but as for the colour I want something closer to this steer oil jacket from y2 (STEER OIL | Y'2 LEATHER (y-2leather.com)) but I can't seem to find any like it. Even y2 doesn't offer a jacket in a cowhide colour.

Here is what the y2 looks aged: Y2 Leather Unboxing at The Shop Vancouver week of Oct 25 (youtube.com) and is the end result that I want my jacket to look like. Any guidance you could give would be helpful, and this would be the first leather jacket I'm buying just an fyi.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
People who get an expensive custom as a first leather jacket almost invariably look back at the thing a couple of jackets down the line and think "What a missed opportunity" (if not a complete POS) because everything from fit to design to material is off from mature preferences.

sougey

New in Town
eh if it lasts I will use it and I want something tailored to me. I think of it as a buying a suit, 2 or 3 really nice, tailored ones go a long way

This one is only $89!
IMG_9286.jpeg
Joking aside, I agree that you shouldn’t spend over $1500 on a jacket. This is a good Thedi thread:

jchance

One of the Regulars
Do you live near any store that offers leather jackets you can try on? Fitting is half of the battle. Once you have your size and measurements figured out, you seem to like Y2 so order that—used, not new.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
eh if it lasts I will use it and I want something tailored to me. I think of it as a buying a suit, 2 or 3 really nice, tailored ones go a long way

Speaking as someone who has bespoken many suits, both two and three-piece, it's not the same thing.

First of all, custom leather jackets rarely fit any better than RTW in the right size, because the nature of leather is fundamentally different to that of fabric. They usually do not even show whether or not they fit until they have been broken in; as a result, this also means that there isn't a way for a maker to actually gauge your fit in the way a bespoke tailor can pick up in your fittings.

Second of all, the general form of the suit has been the same thing since the late 1940s, around the world. Differences tend to be in specific tailoring styles or choice of fabric.

Leather jackets are a very, very different thing.

sougey

New in Town
correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that leather "breaking in" actually meant that they fit better with wear, and it is comparable as to something being moulded to fit your body, is this not the case?

sougey

New in Town
This one is only $89!
View attachment 642403
Joking aside, I agree that you shouldn’t spend over $1500 on a jacket. This is a good Thedi thread:
I was actually looking at buying a car coat instead of a leather jacket lmao thanks for the thread i've checked out all the thedi jackets and the buttons aren't really my style I would prefer a zipper jacket instead, I don't believe they have one in that colour that isn't suede.

jchance

One of the Regulars
correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that leather "breaking in" actually meant that they fit better with wear, and it is comparable as to something being moulded to fit your body, is this not the case?

It is if you have only one jacket (maybe up to 3) that is one size too small and have worn it for years-decades. Also, because leather jacket stretches to fit the body, you wouldn’t need to get it tailored or go M2M.

If you go with Thedi, he can make you a jacket with any style.

@Aloysius explained everything perfectly & I just want to add...

eh if it lasts I will use it and I want something tailored to me.

All leather jackets will last you the same amount of time which is more than you will ever want them to.

correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that leather "breaking in" actually meant that they fit better with wear

Yes and no. It does imply that the leather has molded to your shape; E.g. Where you bend your arms, the position of your shoulders, back, etc. but regardless, you can have a leather jacket that is 5 sizes too large for you that's just as broken in as one that is severely undersized.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Himel Bros offers a bunch of oil-tanned leathers. They do bespoke builds. A jacket there might run you north of 3 grand. Good jackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust