Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antique shop find: Imperial Stetson

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
We made a trip today for an interview I had for an art program, and of course, hit some antique shops along the way.

I found this hanging on a bedpost in an antique mall in Westminster, MD.

There was no price on it, but the shopkeeper let me have it for ten bucks.

The stitching holding the reeding to the hat is coming out, so I'm going to need to stitch that back in, but the important stitching, the stitching holding the sweatband to the reeding is still strong.

The brim is 2-7/8", and has a 3/8" overwelt, with no stitching going through the bottom.
5-1/2" crown.
It's marked a 7-3/8, but has shrunk down to a 7-1/4.

IMG_3283.jpg

IMG_3285.jpg

IMG_3286.jpg

IMG_3287.jpg

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
Sheesh, some guys get all the luck.:rolleyes: Not only is it one sweet looking lid, it is also a steal at ten bucks. Congrats. :eusa_clap

P.S. Where's the picture of you wearing it?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
It's somewhere between the two. A little bit closer to the one on my head though.

seems like I can't leave the house without coming home with a hat.

Duck

Practically Family
Great find, Dinerman!! Yes, it does seem like you are having great luck in finding some really nice hats.:eusa_clap

The real Henry

Practically Family
:eek: !!! Now THAT's a great lid! Especially the 'sharp-edged' bash look nice!

Man, I began to wonder if something has happened to you as you didn't post about a new hat find for a about a whole week!:p ;)

Suits you well!

Regards,
Henrik

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Well, I was looking under the sweatband, trying to assess how to go about fixing it, and I found, stamped under there, a date: September 26, 1945

PapaSimone

Familiar Face
Nice hat!
I love that there is a date. Do you think that is the day it was made? For perspective that date Duke Ellington performing at the New Zanzibar at West 49th and Broadway in New York City.
Also on that date: September 26, 1945 - The first American death in Vietnam occurs, during the unrest in Saigon, as OSS officer Lt. Col. A. Peter Dewey is killed by Viet Minh guerrillas who mistook him for a French officer. Before his death, Dewey had filed a report on the deepening crisis in Vietnam, stating his opinion that the U.S. "ought to clear out of Southeast Asia."

The date makes it a living time capsule!

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
PapaSimone said:
Nice hat!
I love that there is a date. Do you think that is the day it was made? For perspective that date Duke Ellington performing at the New Zanzibar at West 49th and Broadway in New York City.
Also on that date: September 26, 1945 - The first American death in Vietnam occurs, during the unrest in Saigon, as OSS officer Lt. Col. A. Peter Dewey is killed by Viet Minh guerrillas who mistook him for a French officer. Before his death, Dewey had filed a report on the deepening crisis in Vietnam, stating his opinion that the U.S. "ought to clear out of Southeast Asia."

The date makes it a living time capsule!

Superb context, thanks !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally