Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another REALLY OLD Topper

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I seem to be on a lucky streak with acquiring these ancient beauties. This one is in the best condition I've seen for its type and age

IMG_3477.jpg

IMG_3478.jpg

IMG_3491.jpg

Any help in dating this one is greatly appreciated

Tiller

Practically Family
All I can tell you is you have a real thing of beauty there :eusa_clap. One of these days I'm going to get off my butt and actually try to get a topper. It's a shame that there is practically no events where toppers are actually used here in the States, besides a wedding (and I'm not getting married... yet lol), or if I wanted to drive a buggy for tourist in NYC.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
1859 Manet Absinthe Drinker

4255236882_6bc0953148_o.jpg

Seems to have your shape,proportions and narrow ribbon.

By 1878:
4255229830_52ccbd723d_o.jpg

Shorter, less flare at the top and wider ribbon

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Juste Pinaud trademark hat store

pre Stephen Stetson case:
http://books.google.com/books?id=Kr...kQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=richelieu pinaud&f=false

1805 Juste Pinaud at 87 Richelieu hat
http://www.antiquefirearms.com/pages/503.htm

At the 97 adress by 1848
http://books.google.com/books?id=FI...&cd=5#v=onepage&q=pinaud 97 richelieu&f=false

At 89 Richelieu by 1867
http://books.google.com/books?id=eS...&cd=7#v=onepage&q=pinaud 97 richelieu&f=false

97 Rue Richelieu Paris building looks intact check out Google Maps street view.

Garrett

For Comparison

Here are some shots of the other Topper I purchased last month which seems to be similiar in age if not older. We were able to confirm that this one was made prior to 1866 but it may be considerably older than that.

IMG_3493.jpg

IMG_3383.jpg

Unfortunately, it is not in the same decent condition as the topper just acquired

Garrett

rlk said:

Thanks to rlk we have determined the french topper was made between 1848-1867 as its liner is indicative of the firm working at the 97 address

Thanks Robert!

Garrett

filfoster said:
Garrett: Good lord, how tall are those? My 7 1/2 inch tall one looks huge but these look towering!

The french topper is 7 1/4" and the C.H. Garden Company topper is 7 1/2"

rlk

I'll Lock Up
That sure is in fantastic condition. You have the most contenders for "oldest hat on the lounge". Are you raising funds for the new annex of your Hat Museum?
4255520740_038764bdc0_o.jpg

Garrett

rlk said:
That sure is in fantastic condition. You have the most contenders for "oldest hat on the lounge". Are you raising funds for the new annex of your Hat Museum?

I'm accepting donations :D

Kaonashi

Familiar Face
Pardon my ignorance, but, actually, is there a place where you´re expected to wear a top hat??, I can only think of magicians and a wedding maybe, do people still wear these.. idk... at the opera or something like that?, don´t get me wrong, I´d really like to get one like these!! =D

thecardigankid

One of the Regulars
This type of topper probably dates no earlier than the 1860s. Alot of top hats that are pre 1860s dont have that little bit of flare at the top. That flare came into play in the 1860s when a new block came into play for making top hats.

Tim Bender would probably be able to tell you a more exact date on said hat.

Garrett

Not true, Cardigankid - There is plenty of evidence in paintings like the ones above as well as early daguerreotype photos to the contrary of your "No earlier than 1860's" claim.

You must also keep in mind that the two toppers depicted above have been damaged and bent in different spots that throw off the otherwise straight sided crown.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Garrett said:
Not true, Cardigankid - There is plenty of evidence in paintings like the ones above as well as early daguerreotype photos to the contrary of your "No earlier than 1860's" claim.

You must also keep in mind that the two toppers depicted above have been damaged and bent in different spots that throw off the otherwise straight sided crown.
They both broaden gradually towards the top rather than a more severe curve(flare) just near the top edge. More a cone rather than a bell.
4255786370_43337eaf08_o.jpg

1855 Daguereotype

filfoster

One Too Many
Top hats

thecardigankid said:
This type of topper probably dates no earlier than the 1860s. Alot of top hats that are pre 1860s dont have that little bit of flare at the top. That flare came into play in the 1860s when a new block came into play for making top hats.

Tim Bender would probably be able to tell you a more exact date on said hat.

I agree with Garrett on this one. I think these could be very early 1800's. See this book cited in another top hat thread on crown height here in the Lounge:
Top Hat: An Illustrated History of Its Styling and Manufacture

Nice to see Tim Bender ( www.benderhats.com) get a mention. He makes wonderful, fairly priced hats and has a great eye for detail. He copied the Seth Bullock hat from Deadwood and Clint Eastwood's 'Preacher' hat from Pale Rider perfectly for me a couple of years ago. What a nice guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82