Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

And the winner for LEAST helpful response to a question on Ebay goes to....

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Me (regarding two blocks currently up in a BIN format): Great items!
Any sizes on the blocks?
Do you have any other blocks or hatters tools I should watch out for?

Thanks

Reply: Yes They have the size on the sizers...Thank you

...ok :rolleyes:

lillielil

Familiar Face
:eek:fftopic: I got a similar one the other day.

Me: (regarding a pair of vintage glasses) Is there a size such as 46/20 marked on the frames? Would it be possible for you to measure the distance from hinge to hinge? Do you think these would be suitable for new prescription lenses and daily wear?

Seller: No.

warbird

One Too Many
Rick Blaine said:
Me (regarding two blocks currently up in a BIN format): Great items!
Any sizes on the blocks?
Do you have any other blocks or hatters tools I should watch out for?

Thanks

Reply: Yes They have the size on the sizers...Thank you

...ok :rolleyes:

What do these blocks sell for usually? I found one in an antique store the other day, but it was I think $75 being asked though they would have taken lower. This had a base that separated from the top. It was very old. Since I don't know anything about these even though I would like to get into it a bit, so I didn't buy it. They also had a beautiful old leather satchel in great shape and two very old optimo style panamas but alas they were both torn.

I did pick up a Stephen L. Stetson though. I may sell it, size 7 is too small and would have to be stretched to a 7 1/8 and I would want to cut the brim down as it is 3.25" in a OR style w/thin ribbon. I haven't decided yet what I am going to do with it. Maybe a trade.

Anyway backl to the original point, is there a huge reason why some will go high and others not, that price seemed high to me but I could be all wrong.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I had one a few months ago.

Me: Will you ship to Canada?

Seller: We do not currently ship to Canada however it will cost you more.

:eusa_doh:

Rick Blaine

warbird said:
What do these blocks sell for usually? I found one in an antique store the other day, but it was I think $75 being asked though they would have taken lower. This had a base that separated from the top. It was very old. Since I don't know anything about these even though I would like to get into it a bit, so I didn't buy it. They also had a beautiful old leather satchel in great shape and two very old optimo style panamas but alas they were both torn.

I did pick up a Stephen L. Stetson though. I may sell it, size 7 is too small and would have to be stretched to a 7 1/8 and I would want to cut the brim down as it is 3.25" in a OR style w/thin ribbon. I haven't decided yet what I am going to do with it. Maybe a trade.

Anyway backl to the original point, is there a huge reason why some will go high and others not, that price seemed high to me but I could be all wrong.

Depends, most (& I include myself here) are looking for a #52 block in a size one down from the size hat we wear so we can attempt "sweat in" minor alterations & refurbs (I hesitate to call it real "reblocking"). #52 is the fabled & coveted straight sided, tall domed "Indy" block. I think I would pay $75 for a block meeting that description, as a newly turned one is about twice that, as I recall.

Stan

A-List Customer
How can anyone beat that?

Hi,

Well, I think we can end the voting right now. How in heck can *anyone* ever beat that single "No" answer to three questions??

Maybe if someone answers "No" to *four* questions!!

Now, *that* is what I call less than helpful!!

Later!

Stan

Brinybay

Practically Family
Wow, these are funny, keep them coming! I work with the general public and hear it from the other direction (retarded questions), but that's not the subject of this thread so I'll spare you.

Vintage Betty

How about some from buyers?

A few years ago I tried to sell my custom made Irish lap harp on ebay and the harp has custom woodwork and I inlaid semi-previous stones as accents. I took careful photos of the harp from all sides. I had custom installed levers, very unusual in a harp that size when I had it made -- now it's more common.

A customer wrote me and "Informed" me that I was selling a cheap reproduction harp from India, it was worth about $75, and she demanded I sell it to her at that price! Than she complained in feedback about the "cheap Indian harp" when her lowball bid didn't hit my reserve! :eusa_doh:

...Classic ebay buyer...

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Oh my. I have recently dipped my foot into hat bidding on Ebay. Parapharase of a recent exchange:

Me: Do you have any idea of the size? It might be marked under the sweatband, sometimes with only a "3" to indicate 7-3/8, or it might be a metric size like 56 or 60. If not, could you measure the inside diameter with a cloth tape or alternately, use masking tape that won't damage the sweatband and measure that?

Him: I think it measures something like 12" by 14". Thanks for looking.

That was the worst, but not the only silly answer.

I mean, Rick, the simple "yes" you got was straightforward at least!

- Bill

Rick Blaine

Woodfluter said:

- Bill

Quite right. I don't think he was trying to be evasive, just not stopping to think too hard, we've all done it.

The following is a REAL exchange between my Mother in Law (Mary) & a friend:

Friend: "Mary, what sort of tree is that?"

Mary: "I don't know, I've only ever seen apples on it..." :eusa_doh:

A real Gracie Allen, that one.

Bill, wherebouts in GA. are you? I grew up in Athens.

Regards,

RB

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Woodfluter said:
Oh my. I have recently dipped my foot into hat bidding on Ebay. Parapharase of a recent exchange:

Me: Do you have any idea of the size? It might be marked under the sweatband, sometimes with only a "3" to indicate 7-3/8, or it might be a metric size like 56 or 60. If not, could you measure the inside diameter with a cloth tape or alternately, use masking tape that won't damage the sweatband and measure that?

Him: I think it measures something like 12" by 14". Thanks for looking.

That was the worst, but not the only silly answer.

- Bill

Yeah, but the question is a little dizzying, so a dizzy response is not surprising. If you ask for the inside circumfrence, or for them to measure around the inside of the hole :)eek: ), then let them figure our how to do it themselves, the response may be more helpful.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Rick Blaine said:
Quite right. I don't think he was trying to be evasive, just not stopping to think too hard, we've all done it.

Bill, wherebouts in GA. are you? I grew up in Athens.

Regards,

RB

lol

Too funny.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
You're probably right, I tend to ask overly-complicated questions that I think are extremely clear but might be confusing to others! OK, I withdraw mine from the competition due to unfair initial conditions. Like, how complicated is measuring around the sweatband? But I guess I didn't explicitly ask that...

On another matter, I'm presently living with my lovely wife Carole in the house she grew up in, in the Morningside neighborhood of Atlanta. We have friends in and from Athens. Contact me anytime!

- Bill

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Woodfluter said:
You're probably right, I tend to ask overly-complicated questions that I think are extremely clear but might be confusing to others! OK, I withdraw mine from the competition due to unfair initial conditions. Like, how complicated is measuring around the sweatband? But I guess I didn't explicitly ask that...

On another matter, I'm presently living with my lovely wife Carole in the house she grew up in, in the Morningside neighborhood of Atlanta. We have friends in and from Athens. Contact me anytime!

- Bill

lol :eusa_clap lol

undertaker

Practically Family
Rick Blaine said:

Regards,

RB

RB,

Sounds like one of my wifes lines. They might be kin [huh] . I have often compared her to Gracie.

Regards,
J.S.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust