Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alpino hats

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
Hi!

As in another thread the argument was touched, I'd like to tell something about the characteristic hat of italian army's mountain troops, the Alpini (sing. Alpino).

A little introduction on the alpini themselves, before:
The Alpini corps was founded in the late XIX century in order to defend the mountain borders of Italy; originally it was intended to be formed only by local people, but soon evolved in a corps recruited in every region in Italy that could be, sometimes with a certain degree of generosity, called "mountain". As these troops were the few to have a strong esprit-de-corps and good, sometimes great, training, aside with Bersaglieri and sardinian troops (and later the Folgore airbornes of Al Alamein fame), these mountain guys were used an expeditionary forces every where the (often foolish) governments of Italy needed them, from Africa to Russia.
And they fought well, as Stalin himself recognized that the italian Alpine Division was the only foreign army to have ever left the russian ground without being defeated.

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpini

(sorrry... in italian)

Originally they wore... a derby! Decorated with an eagle feather and regiment insignia.

http://www.glialpini.com/bombetta_800.html

Then, in 1909, they changed it with the model they're currently using, a green-gray felt hat (the color stayed the same also when italian army turned to khaki) obviously with an "eagle" feather (most of the times it was a turkey's one, actually, but it's always referred as "eagle").
Common alpini have blak feathers; mountain artillery, brown ones; high officers, white ones.
The "eagle" feathers were used by Alpini also on helmets and pit helmets; but, when possible, they always wore their beloved hat.

http://www.truppealpine.it/Lista generale cappelli alpini.htm

The hat is issued with an open crown, and, by regulament, it has to stay this way; nonetheless, not only every single alpino that was issued the hat started to shape it in a more smart way as the very moment he received it;
but also every Regiment developed it's own traditions in terms of shapes.

E.g. the Julia regiment (pronounce Ih-OO-lih-ah, the latin way, having the name of an old legion of the Roman army, the Julia Alpina) shapes its hats with the brim bending on the right side; cause when its troops were coming home from Russia, i.e. going from east to west, they had to shape the brim this way to protect their faces from the freezing northern winds.

Normally, every alpino was issued two hats, by the way identicals; one intented to be used everywhere, during camps and climbs, in rain, snow etc., in order to spare the other for parade or free-time.
The "working" hat, if necessary, could have the brim entirely turned down, to let rain or snow flow down.

Then in the '60s the "working" hat was subsituted by a kind of felt mountain cap, called "the norwegian" in the italian military jargon;
this introduction almost caused a rebellion in the traditionalistic former Alpini's association.
(btw, in italian military jargon a normal cap, like a baseball one, is called "a stupid" ;) ).

well, I hope not having been too boring.

Ciao!! :)

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Grazie

Fascinating history! Thanks so much for taking the time
to share it with us. Interesting, also, to see the parallels
with the history of American cavalry hats we have been
discussing elsewhere. I though immediately of Deanglen's
posts when I saw you wrote, "The hat is issued with an open crown, and, by regulament, it has to stay this way; nonetheless, not only every single alpino that was issued the hat started to shape it in a more smart way as the very moment he received it;
but also every Regiment developed it's own traditions in terms of shapes."

Thanks again.

DOUGLAS

That is great information italian-wizeguy. I like the sidecaps the military used during WWII. They are called Bustino I think? Anyway they have a great look as do most Italian Uniforms.

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
Oh, it's a joy for me to share these informations!

I forgot to mention that also feathers were a place for traditional, yet not-regulamentar personalization:

a dent in the feather it's the privilege of an alpino having done one winter camp, or having climbed a mountain higher than 3000 meters;
an upright feather showed a volunteer, while an inclined one was for conscripts (nowadays italian army is entirely based on professionals, so this distinction has gone... :( );
a very inclined one, the "tired feather", showed a guy who was ending his conscription period.

During the russian campaign in WWII, russian soldiers and snipers learned soon some of these distinction, and they searched mainly for "white feathers" (officers) to shot at or bring to prison camp;
while I've read and, most important, heard with my ears from the mouth of veterans numerous account of fraternity acts between common italian and russian soldiers, who many times, in the difficulty of the russian winter, shared food or shelter in an "isba" , perfectly knowing that in another occasion they'll had to shot each other.

Alpini up to today are constantly involved, after their military service, in voluntary activities as Alpine and heartquake rescues etc.;
this, and their human, friendly, not militaristic, yet proud and correct manners, keep them in high respect between civilian population of Italy.

and obviously the hat is the most beloved possession of an alpino- they have a whole mystic about the hat, with songs and poems celebrating it.

Which is amazing in a world where a guy wearing a hat has become, sadly, "rara avis"

Ciao!:)

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
DOUGLAS said:
That is great information italian-wizeguy. I like the sidecaps the military used during WWII. They are called Bustino I think? Anyway they have a great look as do most Italian Uniforms.

Yes, the sidecaps were and still are called "bustina".

Unluckily italian army abandoned them I believe in the '80s, turning to using only peaked caps, berets, and obviously traditional hats
(it's particularly rich in these traditions; consider that the Bersaglieri alone have two traditional hats, a ninety-century-style wide-brimmed hat with mountain cock feathers, and a red "zouave" fez as their fatigue cape...).

Italian uniforms most of the times looked good, as they
they used to have an attention to style; also, as sometimes war periods forced to use poor materials etc. almost all the officers, and many soldiers, wear custom made uniforms when they could, closing an eye on the adherence to regulament.

Ciao!!

DOUGLAS

I have posted a couple of Italian caps in the Military Hats thread if you would like to comment. I also have a couple of bustinas that I have'nt photograghed yet.

deanglen

This is s-o-o-o-o good! Keep it up, Italian-wiseguy. The info is terrific! I'll bet a bunch of us have a lot of questions about Italian fedoras, as well, which you can answer, but military headwear has a special place in my heart. And by the way, I have done enough research on WWI and WWII to give up that sadly repeated litany of the Italian army's reputation as anything less than sterling. I have learned that they, like any army, had their elite, and it was as elite as anybody else's, maybe the best! Thank you for joining the Lounge!

dean

astaire

One of the Regulars
Dean and Italian-wiseguy

You both are true gentlemen :eusa_clap

i was following the other thread very closely and glad that one of you started a new thread to discuss about hat developments.

It is these sort of friendly, open-minded debates that enrich some of us with knowledge about the history of hats and fedora in particular.

Keep it up guys!

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
DOUGLAS said:
I have posted a couple of Italian caps in the Military Hats thread if you would like to comment. I also have a couple of bustinas that I have'nt photograghed yet.

Please can you tell where is that thread?
I've searched but I didn't found.

Oh, and thank you all!

I'm going to take photographs of some fedoras of my family to share with you, now!

Ciao! :)

DOUGLAS

Hey Italilian-Wiseguy, Look at page six, it is close to the bottom third of that page.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally