Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alphonse Capone's Hat

guitarmasta12

A-List Customer
Okay, here's an honest question. Does any one know what brand/model pf the hat Al Capone is wearing in my profile pic and avatar? I'd love to buy one of those for my collection. It's a very awesome looking hat. Agree? Hehe! If it's a custom hat then it's probably impossible to get one.....maybe.

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Even if somebody did know, the odds of finding that exact hat are likely slim to none. If you really want to replicate it, the best advice I can give is to go custom.

guitarmasta12

A-List Customer
Yeah I was looking at Optimo for that. They are like one of the only modern hat shops that make hats like they did in the golden days of hats hehe.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Of coarse Bilmore plant in Canada is no more.
capone-white.jpg

The hat doesn't have the crown height or ribbon width to be an exact copy of the Capone hat.

viclip

Practically Family
Of coarse Bilmore plant in Canada is no more.
capone-white.jpg

The hat doesn't have the crown height or ribbon width to be an exact copy of the Capone hat.

Henry the Hatter's site lists these hats but doesn't indicate relevant dimensions. So I unboxed mine to measure it & I just realized that I was mistaken when I said that the hat was Canadian Biltmore production, it's actually tagged MADE IN USA so presumably haled out of the relocated Texas facility.

Anyways the brim is 2-1/2" with an open crown of 5-1/4". With the center crease the crown varies between 4 and 5 inches. Sporting a 1-3/4" grosgrain ribbon plus a snappable brim, it's actually a good looking hat. I get numerous compliments esp. from the ladies when I wear it; now that it's springtime I might as well keep it out & get some mileage out of it.

Mr.Astor

Banned
That white hat is not even close wrong felt,crease, ribbon, and so on. His hat I believe was an off white almost a light camel color it matched his topcoat. If I were a betting man I would say it was a Borsalino velour. JMO!

facade

A-List Customer
Okay, here's an honest question. Does any one know what brand/model pf the hat Al Capone is wearing in my profile pic and avatar? I'd love to buy one of those for my collection. It's a very awesome looking hat. Agree? Hehe! If it's a custom hat then it's probably impossible to get one.....maybe.

A Capone hat in a museum was a Borsalino so, assuming he had brand loyalty, I'd say that was a gray Borsalino he's sporting in your photo. However absent a successful séance, its all just a guess.

http://www.myalcaponemuseum.com/id175.htm[

Last edited:

jhe888

One of the Regulars
In a photo like that, all you can say about color is that it was light. Could be gray, light tan, nearly white, pale blue - almost anything. I'd guess a pale gray, but who knows?

Who knows what was popular among mobsters then?

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
There were a number of stories that the Chicago Outfit preferred light/pearl gray hats almost as a trademark. However, the most famous one that Capone wore was a light cream colored hat - likely the one in your photo. GT could well have it nailed as being silverbelly.

Fed

facade

A-List Customer
/shrug But other evidence doesn't back up that idea.

page.jpg

Obesity rates do, fat people tend to have fat heads. No doubt in my mind that the average head size in the US has grown, if for no other reason then to keep pace with the average waistline.

tommyK

One Too Many
Obesity rates do, fat people tend to have fat heads. No doubt in my mind that the average head size in the US has grown, if for no other reason then to keep pace with the average waistline.
Not sure obesity has much effect on hat size, I'm 50 pounds heavier than when I graduated high school almost 30 years ago. Same hat size. My father is the same hat size as well and he's probably 50 pounds heavier than I. Perhaps if one is morbidly obese this might be true.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82