Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alpha b-15: What a waste of time, energy, and money

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Not a physically heavy jacket in temrs of weight, but certainly very warm. My Irvin and B3 still have the edge in the heat department, but this comes close. I don't imagine there'd be much call for it down your way, though when it gets cold after dark...

I just ordered a Vintage series B-15D for a reasonably price. I am just trying out my luck with this as there
are always mix comments about it. I am also not looking for 100% true authenticity as I also own some
original L-2B/MA-1 and B-15. See if it can become my go-to jacket for this winter.

Edward

Bartender
I just ordered a Vintage series B-15D for a reasonably price. I am just trying out my luck with this as there
are always mix comments about it. I am also not looking for 100% true authenticity as I also own some
original L-2B/MA-1 and B-15. See if it can become my go-to jacket for this winter.

I'll be interested to hear how you consider it compares to an original. They're certainly very practical jackets, all issues of authenticity aside.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
I'll be interested to hear how you consider it compares to an original. They're certainly very practical jackets, all issues of authenticity aside.

Hi Edward, I will try to post the comparison when I receive the jacket. This will certainly help people from choosing. I honestly wouldn't pay the premium for the Japanese replicas, even though they are of top quality. One can easily get a decent HH jacket with those money.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
OK, I have "test driven" my Alpha B-15D for a few days, it came as a mint condition used jacket, I am pleased with the money that I paid in the UK. All in all, the jacket is as expected, similar to what some other owners have reported. It is certainly not a replica of the original B-15D jacket, but it is also not as bad as some people wrote. First, the jacket is made in the US, not from anywhere else. The pattern seems to be very similar to my supposedly original B-15D (mod). The nylon fabric feels as robust as the original, I am sure it will last for quite some years. The colour is obviously different from the original, way 'greener' then even the current Nomex jackets.

The zippers are heavy duty "Alpha" branded, I guess you cannot expect Talon/Crown repros here afterall, the main zipper resembles the Talon found on my B-15D(Mod). The knits are surprisingly close to the original construction. The old modified jacket without the fur collar weights 3.15lb while the Alpha jacket weights just only 2.35lb, nevertheless, it is still a very warm jacket to wear. My only complaint is that the jacket is very short at the back, as of many early nylon flight jackets. You are very likely to catch a cold if you wear modern low rise jeans. Anyhow, I attached a few photos for you fellows to have a closer look.

IMG_0346-horz.jpg
IMG_0349.jpg
IMG_0350.jpg
IMG_0353.jpg

Hoose

New in Town
AustinTx , happened upon your post as I myself picked up an Alpha Industries B-15 size Large. I too went with their speel on ordering a size up. Once I put it on I thougt this is okay but as the seconds turned to minutes I questioned it. You are 100% right, it’s a joke. Let’s just say I broke into a cold sweat and had a few sleepless nights. My living in Europe added to the misery as there was no way I was gonna ship it back, too much of a rigmarole and I had already forked out €31 ($41)on tax duty.

Anyway, thought I’d give you an insight to the size Medium, there was no way I was sending the LARGE back so I found a size medium being sold in Europe, I bit the bullet and bought it with the knowledge that I could sell on the LARGE as they don’t seem to sell many B-15’s over here. Looking at your weight and dimensions, I’m not far off. I’m 5’10” with a 45” chest and I weigh in at 187 lbs. The medium I measured up to the large, all was basically the same except the pit to pit, the difference was astounding (can’t remember but it was quite a difference). The medium is snug but not to a fault where the Large has that batwing effect, the arms are fine but perhaps could do with an extra inch, for me anyway. My being heavier and having a larger chest has me thinking that the medium would be a good fit on you.

I’d even go out on a limb and say it’d be safe to try on in front of your family.

mezz07

New in Town
Was the Replica B-15 as heavy and warm as they advertise? Might be a bit much in this neck of the woods. Looks good, though.

Yes, The Alpha B-15D Replica is MUCH heavier and better built that Alpha's current cheap B-15. The Replica B-15D has a heavy nylon shell and wool/cotton interlining vs. the flimsy lightweight polyester fiber fill of the cheap version. Actually to the layman the Replica could be mistaken for a Buzz Rickson. Both are of similar weight and I was very surprised at how well built, heavy, and significant the Alpha Replica B-15D was. The color is even the correct light greenish silver color found on originals. The fur collar was nice but it wasn't the correct shape, texture, or color. But for $199 I was fairly happy with my purchase, for a short while anyway.

After a couple weeks I started noticing that the shape and cut of the Replica B-15D was way off. A myriad of things started grating on my nerves and soon regret and buyers remorse set in. The wind flap was far too small and didn't even extend the length of the zipper. The body was MUCH too long as were the skinny but comically long monkey arms. The wool blend cuffs were very good quality but were so tight they cut off the circulation to my hands. The spec tag was descent but the jacket lacked a stencil on the sleeve and instead had a small Alpha tag sewn into the cigarette pocket, which I quickly removed with scissors. I was also disappointed that the knits and shell were exactly the same color. No contrast at all. But most of all the long body and arms made the Replica hardly even resemble an original B-15 in my eyes. The cheap $89 B-15 has a FAR more accurate cut. The leather pull tabs were actually VERY nice. The zipper was exactly the same one as the standard $89 version. I was glad to see the jacket had a throat latch with fur padding. But again the buttons were the same exact color as the shell and knits. Another thing that irritated me was that the waistband was far too short, especially in proportion to the long ass body. Originals had a relatively tall waistband.

The main point I want to make is that I wasted hundreds and hundreds of dollars on 6 cheap Alpha jackets that I threw away, donated, or gave away within months of purchasing. Even though Buzz is expensive I wish so badly I would have skipped Alpha and went straight to them to begin with. I actually would have saved money. If you're looking for a good nylon replica skip Alpha and go to Buzz. Just get used to the idea that quality costs money. If you don't care about authenticity too much the Replica line of Alpha is very good. I now own 5 Buzz repros and couldn't be happier. They are spectacular and worth every dollar. The workmanship and attention to detail is exceedingly fine. I don't perceive my Buzz jackets as nylon jackets per se, I think of them as heavy wool jackets with extremely accurate patterns, incredible hardware, and beautiful looks.

Give your Alpha jackets to your local Good Will and start your collection over like I did. Do it right. I had to save for over a year to get the 5 jackets I own because I only make $10/hr. However I never have the slightest regret. I think a lot of people don't really understand how impressive, substantial, authentic, and beautiful the Buzz jackets are. They say "I'm not paying that much for a nylon jacket". Those people need to get past that kind of thinking if they want to enjoy the finer things in life.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've got 3 of the 'Vintage' series B15 D which I use as daily wearers. I like the 'Vintage' series even though they are not accurate representations. :)

mezz07

New in Town
Current regular B-15 line: Somewhat decent pattern. Incorrect materials. Removable collar. No stencil or military tag. Polyester fiber fill interlining. Light weight. Fake fur. generic zippers. Very comfortable and warm but not very accurate. Still has a more accurate pattern than the Replica B-15D.

Vintage line: Made in the USA about 10 years ago give or take. Higher quality and more accurate than current regular line. Collar is sewn in. Has stencils and somewhat accurate tag. Better zippers. Fake fur. Still is made of the cheaper polyester fiber interlining. A very good value and decently accurate compared to the current regular B-15s.

Replica B-15D line: VERY high quality materials. Almost as good as a Buzz as far as nylon and wool parts. Very accurate tag. Very heavy and durable since it's made with wool/cotton interlining just like originals. Very nice heavy nylon with correct light sage color. Real mouton fur collar with throat latch. Nice wool blend knits and double sewn pockets. Generic zippers but great leather zipper pulls. No sleeve stencil but has internal stencil under tag. Much too long for a B-15. Waistband too short. Cuffs too long and too tight. Arms too long and too skinny. Knits are same shade of green as the shell which makes it look plain and not like originals. Oxygen tab is very nice but is not sewn all the way thru the jacket as on originals. Wind flap is too small and doesn't extend the length of the zipper. Fur is nice but is incorrect shape. Awesome hefty jacket but not a particularly accurate pattern. Good value IMO

Below is a current B-15 and a Replica B-15D:

1_zps11dec14c.jpg

2_zpse65e744c.jpg

3_zps0aede143.jpg

Last edited:

Monsoon

A-List Customer
There is a cheaper Japanese brand called Houston that makes repro army clothings. Most of what they offer are made in China but there is a reprint series that is made in Japan. Here is an example
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/auc-waiper/item/10007026/
Quality-wise, Houston cannot be compared to Buzz not to mention McCoy but their level of repro does beat Schott, Alpha and Spiewak who modified all these jackets nowadays to adapt to the market. Whilst Buzz and McCoy would use Alpaca/wool blend on their jackets, Houston only uses synthetic or pure wool.

I've seen those Houston jackets before. Has anyone pulled the trigger on one of them? I'd be curious to see how they stack up to an Alpha jacket.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice looking jacket, but sizing of Houston flight jackets is on the small size (as one would expect given their main market). XL being for a 42" chest :)

AustinTX

One of the Regulars
AustinTx , happened upon your post as I myself picked up an Alpha Industries B-15 size Large. I too went with their speel on ordering a size up. Once I put it on I thougt this is okay but as the seconds turned to minutes I questioned it. You are 100% right, it’s a joke. Let’s just say I broke into a cold sweat and had a few sleepless nights. My living in Europe added to the misery as there was no way I was gonna ship it back, too much of a rigmarole and I had already forked out €31 ($41)on tax duty.

Anyway, thought I’d give you an insight to the size Medium, there was no way I was sending the LARGE back so I found a size medium being sold in Europe, I bit the bullet and bought it with the knowledge that I could sell on the LARGE as they don’t seem to sell many B-15’s over here. Looking at your weight and dimensions, I’m not far off. I’m 5’10” with a 45” chest and I weigh in at 187 lbs. The medium I measured up to the large, all was basically the same except the pit to pit, the difference was astounding (can’t remember but it was quite a difference). The medium is snug but not to a fault where the Large has that batwing effect, the arms are fine but perhaps could do with an extra inch, for me anyway. My being heavier and having a larger chest has me thinking that the medium would be a good fit on you.

I’d even go out on a limb and say it’d be safe to try on in front of your family.

Thanks Hoose!

Your points are well-taken and sound correct. Unfortunately, like a virus, I have jumped across to MA-1's. When I started this thread, I didn't know anything about any of these jackets. Since then, the madness bloomed like flowers in the Spring. I now own four Alpha's, a Real McCoy's, a Spiewak, and a Tru-Spec. I'm mostly chasing the will-o-the-wisp of that just-right fit, and it's been an education. As a thinner guy on the small side of Large, I've found it a challenge. (Stop me before I buy again!) As for my family, they just think I'm crazy, try-on's or no.

Edward

Bartender
Thanks Hoose!

Your points are well-taken and sound correct. Unfortunately, like a virus, I have jumped across to MA-1's. When I started this thread, I didn't know anything about any of these jackets. Since then, the madness bloomed like flowers in the Spring. I now own four Alpha's, a Real McCoy's, a Spiewak, and a Tru-Spec. I'm mostly chasing the will-o-the-wisp of that just-right fit, and it's been an education. As a thinner guy on the small side of Large, I've found it a challenge. (Stop me before I buy again!) As for my family, they just think I'm crazy, try-on's or no.

On the plus side, it's probably only cost you a fraction of what it would have if these had all been A2s.... ;)

mezz07

New in Town
When I started collecting flight jackets I too jumped over from B-15s to MA-1s. First I bought a sage green Alpha, which I found very comfortable and it seemed higher quality than the B-15s. Second I bought a black MA-1, again from Alpha. I then purchased an original 1976 MA-1 that was in perfect non issue condition. It was great except the back was so short it was unwearable. It road right up my back. Fourth I purchased an original 1958 MA-1. It fit nicely but was too old and beat up to wear normally. I then went to Buzz and bought a B-15C Mod, which finally gave me the fit and look I was seeking for over a year. More recently I also bought a Buzz MA-1 Lion Uniform. That jacket is also fabulous. I think I've now come full circle with the MA-1s. A good fitting original seems very elusive, so I have decided to stick with Buzz because they offer everything I need.

At one time I owned 6 Alpha jackets. I think Alpha's MA-1s are particularly good.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Has anyone ever purchased an MA-1 from G&B? They make them in house and look like they should have a quality jacket. Not sure about the "repro" details, but if it fits and looks good, if it is warm, and affordable - well constructed, that is what I care about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mismichael