Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra?????

dixiedust

New in Town
I buy most all my lids from Meyer in New Orleans but I have been looking at that Akubra Squatter from AAron hats, Question is this hat is "open" for bashing, now I dont know anything about "bashing" or care to, Can a person request them to shape it for you? Also does anyone else own one of these hats? if so please let me know how you like or dislike. It has a 3 inch brim, all my hats are 2 1/2 brims but I would like to try a larger, I have never bought a hat with out being there in person, I wear a 7 1/8 in a dobbs so would the size be the same or should I go to a 7 1/4?--------thanks-------DR:cool2:

Bebop

Practically Family
I have a Squatter that is about 4 months old now. It is a very good hat for the price. My Squatter has taken somewhat of a beating and has remained in great shape. It is well made and looks very nice. I like it so much, I am thinking of getting a gray one also. It was the first hat I bashed and it is quite easy to do. If you don't like the way it looks the first time you bash, punch it out and bash again. If you search for "Akubra Squatter" on this board you can find more info.

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
I'm leaning towards the Squatter myself, so I'll be looking for replies too...also the Stetson "Open Road" (open crown) and the Akubra "Federation" look nice. First time posting for me...enjoyable reading.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
A great hat.

The Akubra Squatter is a great hat and real easy to shape/style the hat once you recieve it and only takes a few minutes. I like the 3 inch brim and if you don't it is real easy to cut it down and we can help you. Please don't be afraid to bash your hat. Bashing is another word we use for shaping. :)

Aaron can help you with the rest of your questions. He has a toll free #

Aaron at Aaron Hats has the Akubra Squatter with a 10% discount to lounge members. He is a member here. :)

http://www.getahaton.com/products.php?cat=106

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Nice hats

Aaron, those are some of the few new hats I would recommend for people to invest in. I like several of them and if I had to buy new I would certainly recommed these.

fedoralover

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
As long as we're talking about Akubra's...

I have a couple of quick questions for Aaron.

Are the Squatter or Stylemaster available in lighter colours through you?

I've been thinking about getting a fawn Stylemaster for months now. I sit available open crown?

Thanks, and...

Cheers.

Aaron Hats

Vendor
The Stylemaster is available in an Acorn color and the Squatter is available in Fawn. Only the Squatter is available in an open crown. I don't have these in stock but can get them for you in about 2-4 weeks depending on when I'm placing my next order.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Aaron.

I've used up my clothing allowance for the time being - it's my wife's turn to spend - but it's good to know that the colours I like are available and that you need to order them.

Thanks again.

Maybe loook at the Akubra "Fedora" as well?

I asked Ron at Hats Direct for a side-by-side comparison of the Stylemaster and the Fedora. Subconsciously, I think I was looking for an open crown Stylemaster. Anyway, here's what he had to say:

The main difference is in the felt - The Fedora is very soft, it is a grade within the "Imperial" quality, essentially it is thinner and denser than the other felts and has had less stiffener applied to it.

Shaping the hat is easy just by using your fingers, it is so [Sic: easy that(?)] no steam is generally required although it will respond to steam as well. The brim is a snap brim. Crown heights are the same. I have both hats - I tend to wear The Fedora as it has my own interpretation in it.

If you want a hat to put your own style into and will develop its own character, the Fedora is excellent, the pre creased is a better option if you are not a confident hat wearer and want a dress hat with a suit.

I didn't follow up from that point. I suspect that David Morgan's "Sydney" is the "Fedora" in a custom color, but I haven't tried to confirm that.

Sardou

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rand S