Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

After a grey Bogie'ish Fedora...

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Been looking at the Akubra Fed from Hats Direct in grey. Anyone got this model in this colour?

What other options for a nice early 40's look grey hat?

I have been watching the Bay for vintage, but nothing to suit the 7 1/8 noggin, so thinking laterally and entertaining the possibility of a new one (that doesn't burn a major hole in the pocket!).

Advice/suggestion...? all appreciated at Paddy's Bar!;)

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have owned the federation, federation deluxe and the squatter, all great hats. The squatter is the only grey in the bunch and it lends itself to be a little green-ish in the sunlight. The squatter would need a slight bash for a fedora style where the federation is fine for a deep bash, telescope, c-crown, pork pie, diamond ect.. But well worth the money for a every day kind of hat.
Johnny

warbird

One Too Many
Not-Bogart13 said:

Is the ribbon dark grey or black? I may have to get one in grey. I need a grey hat as most of my fedoras have ended up being brown or a derivation of brown.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Paddy: Try Ken over at Camptown Hats.

http://www.camptownhats.com/products.asp

He has one that is reasonably prices called the Model 1945 Metropolitan. He ships them open crowned. Here is his description.

The basic dimensions are similar to the Fieldmaster with a 5.75 inch crown but a slightly shorter 2 7/8 inch non dimensional brim with a DemiCurl‚Ñ¢ in the back for easy shaping of a snap or rain gutter brim. The liner is bridal satin with sweat cap and ventilated band.

img_prod_1945.jpg

If you act quickly he is still honoring discounts for FL members. For the price I'd have to say that it is far better than a Federation and shapes rather easily. I have one of his Fieldmaster hats and I absolutely love it. It conforms to your head after several wearings and wears like iron in the weather with nary a taper to be had. I do plan on getting one of the Metropolitans once I have a bit of extra cash in the next month or two.
I say act quickly because he may not be around for much longer, word of mouth goes only so far. You should be able to e-mail him through his web site. I hope this helps in your search.

Cheers!

Dan

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
warbird said:
Is the ribbon dark grey or black? I may have to get one in grey. I need a grey hat as most of my fedoras have ended up being brown or a derivation of brown.

I know how you feel. A good gray hat is hard to find. The Fed has a black ribbon, and is dark gray felt. If you want more of a medium gray, I'd go with a Camptown or rabbit JPD. Unless you want to go up a price bracket, in which case I highly recommend Art Fawcett.
NB

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust