Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Sheene Steerhide - when one is just never enough....

dan_t

Practically Family
Well, here's the latest acquisition.....
Feels a little mad though as we've had three days over 38 degrees Celsius (100F) in the last three weeks (one peaked at 41.9C / 107F)!

I already have a Sheene, but felt that this one offered something a little different. For starters, this does have the shoulder gussets, which in my opinion changes the appearance enough to look 'different'.
It is also made from Aero's Steerhide. A hide that I've not experienced before, but I have to say that I love it!
For now I feel (somewhat) complete, I have the Goatskin, Steerhide & FQHH from Aero.

I thought I'd weigh the two jackets to give a real life example of how the FQHH & Steerhide differ in weight. Keep in mind that this jacket is ever so slightly larger than my FQHH one - just an inch longer & does have the shoulder gussets, so there is a little more leather in the jacket. Other than that, they are as close to each other as I think makes a reasonable direct comparison.

The FQHH jacket weighs in at 2182 grams
The Steerhide weighs in at 2,567 grams
That's an increase in weight of 17.6%. Subtract the slightly greater use of leather and you can safely say that it is approximately 15% heavier for the alternate hide.

The Steerhide feels (it's hard to describe accurately) more robust.
It's not really that much thicker than the FQHH, but somehow seems to be bolder when worn.
I think this one will wear in very nicely with time. Although having said that, it is pretty forgiving as it is.

I know I'm not doing a great job of explaining it, but I would certainly recommend it if you were on the fence. I'd also have no hesitation (other than a lack of armour) jumping on the bike with this jacket.

Now here's some pic's to let you form your own opinion. Keep in mind that multiple flashes have been used to balance the bright background light - it's not really that shiny!

Aero%20Sheene%20Black%204%20of%2027-1_zpspmpx4ufo.jpg

Aero%20Sheene%20Black%205%20of%2027-2_zpshia4ayh3.jpg

Aero%20Sheene%20Black%206%20of%2027-3_zpsms2pru6p.jpg

Aero%20Sheene%20Black%207%20of%2027-4_zps0g4jotkm.jpg

Aero%20Sheene%20Black%208%20of%2027-5_zpsydydnwms.jpg

Aero%20Sheene%20Black%2018%20of%2027-6_zpslli0tlbm.jpg

Aero%20Sheene%20Black%2020%20of%2027-7_zpsgktd6eba.jpg

Aero%20Sheene%20Black%2022%20of%2027-8_zpswmhhee0c.jpg

Aero%20Sheene%20Black%2025%20of%2027-9_zps6derpps4.jpg

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Dan, that Sheene is simply outstanding both in appearance and fit. My experience is that nothing is nicer than a Sheene no matter what skin is used as long as the fit is correct.

My experience is that nothing is nicer than a Sheene no matter what skin is used as long as the fit is correct.

Agreed - Aero CR is their best damn fitting jacket, if you get it right; and your Sheene testifies to that, dan_t. You cannot get a better fit than this, you simply can't!

Sockeye

One of the Regulars
Positively outstanding. Each one of my Aero hides has its own character, but I admit I do go back to my black aero cafe racer for its special hard earned patina.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Congrats Dan, really outstanding jacket. I've got to get my hands on another Aero steer. It's great leather and the grain is really beautiful. I can see some of that on the back of the jacket but I'm sure it will get better and better. And finally, couldn't agree more with those who love the Sheene. Mine is still my most worn jacket and will remain so.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Not that they aren't pretty but I don't know how you do it, Dan. I tried FQHH and other 3 oz hides in Melbourne on and off for years: too heavy even in winter for me. In fact I can't really wear any leather jacket over 1.5 kilos. Spent a year in Sydney and never needed more than a denim jacket. Anyway if you can hack it, good for you.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Great fit mate. Once you nail your sizing with the makers, everything is so much easier! You now have a great,varied stable......I wonder what's next???

dan_t

Practically Family
Next?
Shhhhhh, my Wife could be listening.
With the modest winters that we have in Sydney, there's realistically around 4 months to wear a jacket & that is only if heading out at night.
ONE jacket would be plenty. I now have four & she knows about three of them......
Oh oh.

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
Dan this one is again a winner, congrats!

At the moment I wear my Sheene everyday.

Well, now you need an Aero made in Vicenza :D

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dan,

Does the addition of the shoulder gussets make a significant difference to mobility and range of motion of the arms over your Sheene without them?

BobJ

Practically Family
Hey Dan, I was wondering, how much more freedom of motion do you notice with the shoulder gussets? Is it dramatic? Do you feel any bulkiness from the extra leather? Yours looks like the exact jacket I would want if I could only have one. Thanks, Bob

ProteinNerd - Wow - great minds think alike and at the same time too! When I started writing my question, your post wasn't there... one minute later, it was!

dan_t

Practically Family
Hi PN & BobJ, that's a really good question & one that I would imagine a few members here would be interested in.

At first, I was going to reply a simple 'No'. Then I thought I'd put both jackets on and compare them side by side to test my thoughts.

The result; The shoulder gussets do provide an additional amount of limited movement. It is subtle, but if you had a very close fitting jacket it would make a difference to the comfort and reach. If you were hoping for a considerable amount of extra movement, you would be well advised to either ask for a broader shoulder measurement, or go a full action back (like my half belt - and this does provide noticeable extra movement).
The key here is the word 'subtle' as in an expansion of maybe a max 10 mm's on each side at full stretch (this is a guesstimate of course....)

I think the key benefit for me is actually aesthetic. If you ordered one of these jackets to ride in & had it made to measure perfectly, I do think that the gussets would become a functional feature.

As for the question around noticing any extra bulkiness, no not really. I mean, there is more leather and the jacket is still new, so doubling up on any part of a jacket will add some stiffness and bulk. It is not noticeable to me when being worn & I would expect that this would soften in time with the usual break in process.

I hope this answers your questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe