Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

a question about ralph lauren

_tone

New in Town
can anyone explain to me why there is so much ralph lauren merchandise on ebay. i've been poking around there lately looking for a bunch of different things, but specifically for a shawl necked cardigan and the sheer quantity of RL stuff for sale on that site is remarkable to me (which is why i'm remarking on it). is there an explanation, or is it just a small and inexplicable portion of life's bewilderingly rich pageant. anyone?

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
1) There are vast amounts of RL clothing out there. In the 40 years Ralph has been in business, the company has produced massive amounts of clothing under a plethora of lines and labels--some of it excellent, some of it good, lots of it not so good. Most of the new RL suits on Ebay, for example, are from a lower-level line that isn't worth buying.

2) RL is a popular brand with great name recognition that is widely perceived as selling high-quality stuff. That makes it a prime target for counterfeiting, especially in the high-end stuff like Purple Label. Many (though not most, perhaps) of the NWT RL items for sale on Ebay are fakes, especially in certain categories like knitwear.

If you can sort through the fakes and the genuine but ill-made stuff, you can find some RL gems on the Bay. But you have to know what you're looking for and be prepared to spend more than a pittance for the real thing.

Orgetorix said:
That makes it a prime target for counterfeiting, especially in the high-end stuff like Purple Label. Many (though not most, perhaps) of the NWT RL items for sale on Ebay are fakes, especially in certain categories like knitwear.

If you can sort through the fakes and the genuine but ill-made stuff, you can find some RL gems on the Bay. But you have to know what you're looking for and be prepared to spend more than a pittance for the real thing.

This happens a lot more than you might think. RL also makes a ton of merchandise, much of it designed to go straight to outlet en masse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust