Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A hat newbie, but not for long!

Beardog

New in Town
I just posted a "hello" in the introductions thread. Thanks for allowing me to join the forum!

I am 52 years old, have a balding top, but thick black hair with a twinge of gray elsewhere on my head. I am fair skinned, medium build and height (5'9", 180 lbs.). My hat size is small (6 3/4-6 7/8). I have an oval shaped face (I think...). I think that I prefer narrower brimmed hats, but I am not sure yet. I bought a couple of hats last night, on a whim, because I liked their more casual look. I almost never wear a suit, or even a tie to work (dress casual, only). At home, I wear jeans, nice tucked in shirts, or decent pullovers/sweatshirts, depending on the weather. I am interested in others' opinions about suggested hat styles for me, colors, materials, etc. I frequently wear leather boots, but I'm not a "cowboy". I look forward to becoming an active member of the forum!

Here I am a couple of minutes ago, sitting at my iMac computer:
Photo on 1-18-15 at 13.25.jpg

This is a Suede leather Dobbs "Game Bird" that I low-balled on eBay, and my offer was accepted:
$_57.JPG

I bought this Bailey Perry "olive mix" from gilt.com. It was the last one available at a discounted price:
37161_TB274_MAIN.jpg

Last edited:

Beardog

New in Town
Why a larger brim? My old waxed cotton hat brim that I am wearing above is just 2 inches wide. How wide is the brim on your avatar hat? Thanks for the quick reply!

tommyK

One Too Many
Welcome, you lucky devil! You have a "vintage" sized head so you have a lot of vintage lids at occasionally very good prices if you take an interest. I envy you already!;)

Beardog

New in Town
Bigger guys like you and myself seem to look better with bigger brims IMO. The brim in my avatar is 2 1/2

LOL. Compared to my sons, my brother, uncles, and cousins, I have always been the "little one". I never considered myself to be a "bigger guy"! In any event, I don't think that 2.5 inches is a "wide" brim. Anything over 2.75"-3" is wide, to my mind.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi, Beardog, and welcome to the Lounge. Advice is cheap, so here goes: first, if at all possible find a brick-and-mortar store and spend some time trying on different makes and styles. I found that, with hats, the mirror doesn't lie; second, you have a wider face (like mine) so stay away from anything that tapers toward the middle (center-dents). Have fun!

BayouBeard

New in Town
Historyteach...what is that 2 inch stingy brim you're wearing in the first picture? It reminds me of the Saxon that I keep going back to.

Beardog

New in Town
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions! I'm enjoying browsing the forums and gleaning hat info and history!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe