Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A good hat moment...

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Stopped at the grocery store on the way home from work today. Started down one of the aisles, and a gentleman at the other end of the aisle looked at me, looked at my fedora, and smiled. He made his way down the aisle, and as he passed, he said, "Nice hat, man." It was a good moment.:)

Cheers,
JtL

Cacklewack

One of the Regulars
Moments like that are always pleasing to me.

A few months back, I was wandering around Seattle bars with some friends. At one point I crossed paths with another fellow wearing a fedora and some other vintage garb. As we eyed each other it was like time slowed down and we entered our own little well-dressed world. We ended the encounter with a nod of affirmation without saying a word. No words were necessary -- I felt like I was part of a secret society. We had an "intense imagination connection" (my roommate's favorite description of this strange event!) and my roommate who was walking behind me saw the whole thing, much to his amusement.

Matt

funneman

Practically Family
I have to share..

I was buying sunglasses last week when the young man behind the counter asked me "What's the occasion?"

Seeing the confused look on my face, he said "What's the reason you're dressed so nicely?"

I explained that I dress like this everyday. (Purple Resistol fedora, silk/linen sport jacket, two-tone shoes.)

He says "That's nice, you just don't see people dressing up nice like that everyday."

Those kind of conversations sure put some pep in your step and some glide in your stride.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Once I was shopping in the grocery store where I work. I had my OR-style fedora on when my boss comes walking by.

"Nice hat, I have one just like it."

What a great feeling.
Billy

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
funneman said:
I love the avatar photo. I used to make those Zero/Haliburton suitcases.

Thank you! I love the old Haliburton suitcase, I got a beat up one for my cousin (he just started working for Haliburton) and decided I needed to get one.
I read about how they make them, quite a piece of work.
Regards,
Billy

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

A cruel morning, even in Georgia, one of those January days that are as welcome at your door as a guy from the IRS. I was legging along Marietta Street, people swirling past me. A man coming my way eyed my fedora and smiled. "Nice hat," he said as he passed. "That's tight, man."

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I've had my new hat for about 2 weeks now. Not really many comments, this is New York, after all. But I'm seeing these little smiles on peoples' faces, and they just look. Took a little getting used to, but I like it.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
SamReu said:
A cruel morning, even in Georgia, one of those January days that are as welcome at your door as a guy from the IRS. I was legging along Marietta Street, people swirling past me. A man coming my way eyed my fedora and smiled. "Nice hat," he said as he passed. "That's tight, man."

Love it.

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
OK -- so, I'm heading down on the elevator by my lonesome after work today. The elevator stops and two women get on. We head down to the lobby, and I hold the elevator door to let them exit. As they head out of the elevator, one of the women turns back to me and says, "I love your hat."

Nice way to start the week...:)

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid said:
Stopped at the grocery store on the way home from work today. Started down one of the aisles, and a gentleman at the other end of the aisle looked at me, looked at my fedora, and smiled. He made his way down the aisle, and as he passed, he said, "Nice hat, man." It was a good moment.:)

Cheers,
JtL

I find myself in similar situations, oh, every other day or so.
The obvious explanation for the "nice hat, man" phenomenon is the nice hats -- the nicest hats most of the commentators have ever seen. Those who are likely to notice such things (lovely people all) may not know diddly about hats, but they have the good taste to discern a fine vintage or custom lid from the more pedestrian fare. And they're friendly, too.

rockyj

One of the Regulars
I agree

I've had moments that were like that and not so nice comments too (usually from teenagers with ball caps on backwards or sideways)
However, I have been seeing more men wering Fedora's lately:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally