Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A cautionary tale...

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Once upon a time a not-so-young tyro hat collector & wanna-be renovator (your humble narrator, in fact) scored what looked to be his first Stetson Open Road from a chap in Scotland, of all climes.

4f_31.jpg

3a_31.jpg

(Auction photos)

As we can all see, due to casual storage, the hat was in need of a little tlc...

4f_31.jpg

because of that and perhaps the fact that shipping to North America was gonna be steep, the hat was won for a mere twenty five bucks. I was overjoyed, ecstatic and I was counting the days that the slow boat from the UK arrived bearing my first thin-ribboned, bound brimmed lid and I too might join the O.R. fellowship!

6425_1.jpg

Upon arrival I was not disappointed, in fact my estimation of the rarity and value of the purchase increased considerably as I learned that this lovely & unique off white (SB) Royal Stetson Western (not an Open Road at all, I can now see the subtle differences) was made in Spain under license to the John B. Stetson Co. of Philadelphia USA.

6d62_1.jpg

It was retailed on the Calle Antonia Salva (Antonia Salva Street) shopping district in Palma de Mallorca, one of Spain's poshest resort areas. Palma is the major city and port in the island of Mallorca and capital city of the autonomous community of the Balearic Islands in Spain.

703d_1.jpg

Ok... so far so good, I start to put a little steam to it to resolve the hella-creases that resulted from the smashed-in crown. I also used the better part of a can of some "light colored felt hat cleaner", I guess it worked, though it left the under brim kinda splotchy and uneven in tone, like it had vitaglio or something.
Still, I was quite happy with the results.

6132_1.jpg

The only thing that was bugging me, and you cannot see it here, was the less than consistent tone beneath the brim. So after owning and wearing this hat for almost a year I decide to give it the ol' white gas baptism!
What could happen, thinks I, after all I had dunked over a dozen hats in gas, naphtha, alcohol or the like and all of them have come through with flying colors. Why, once I even inadvertanly left the feather in a ribbon of an Adam and it came out looking fantastic! So what the hey, right?
Into the gas it goes and then, to my absolute horror, this ensues:

sm-3.jpg

I am devastated, overwhelmed, confounded and stunned... beneath the sweatband there was apparently some sort of &^%#$#@#$&^ soot like material, some black granular CRAP that proceeded to ABSOLUTELY PERMEATE this lovely silver belly body

sm-4.jpg

maybe in Europe, at one time, the sweats were smoke tanned or cured or something, maybe it was mold or mildew, maybe it was karma biting me on the @ss, I dunno, but it was a monumental DRAG.
My first major setback as a DIY renovator... I tried gas, water & woolite, threats & demands and nothing, it seems, is going to dislodge this FUNK.
The hat's remains have now been sent to a well known Mississippi hatter to see if anything might be done to resuscitate the poor bugger. I no longer hold out much hope, but one never knows, eh? ;)

Major bummage there, Blaine. My sincere condolences.
And if you ever get to the bottom of the matter -- you know, if you determine WHAT THE %#@! HAPPENED -- please pass along your hard-won knowledge.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
bummage???? is that a word Tonyb? Derivitive of?

Sorry to see this happen Rick. One never really knows whats been done/eating/growing in hats that surprise you in the worst ways. On the bright side ( OK, this is slim) look at the huge jump on your learning curve. Always check under the sweat. When in doubt, remove it. Even the finest of hatters get a surprise every now & then, which is why none will guarantee a renovation to be successful.

Davidson

One of the Regulars
Where do we send flowers?

:( :( :(

I was dipping a Resistol with a black sweatband (I think in alcohol, but it might have been white gas), and I noticed after 10 or 15 minutes a black smudge on the underside of the brim. It was from my finger sliding from the sweatband onto the brim. I kept my fingers off the sweat from then on, got the smudge flushed out, and stopped. The sweatband dye was being dissolved. As long as it was undisturbed, it just sat there. But when rubbed...

It looks like that part of the sweatband that is actually stitched to the felt had a binder soluble in naptha. (Pardon me stating the obvious)

I'm surprised you couldn't just keep going (and keep going...) and get it all out, though. Would have taken gallons of naptha.

I hope you don't give up on it. If the liner can be salvaged, that would be good. If it was me, and complete restoration was out of the question, I'd see if I could have it dyed gray. It would still be a lovely hat. Oh, I'd have the sweatband reworked - separately, of course.

Rick Blaine

I want to thank all of you who have so kindly sent your thoughtful condolences

I am hopeful that Mr. Delk will be able to work a miracle here. I was quite pointed in asking him to take pains to preserve the sweatband as it carries so much information regarding the provenance of the item.

FYI (For Ya'lls Information), I have since dipped a newly acquired vintage gray Resistol San Antonio and have experienced the expected excellent results. But you had better believe that I am thoroughly inspecting all components far more carefully than before. I just hope others may learn from my error with an eye toward prevention of such needless tragedies in the future. :cry:

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Yeeesh!:eek: :eek: My condolances friend. I hope all will turn out right in the end.

Just as a side note, when cleaning light colored hats with something like Scout or Properts Hat cleaners, use the dark color hat cleaner. It won leave those blotchy patches in the felt like you initially encountered. Something I learned from a local hat refurbisher.

Cheers!

Dan

DOUGLAS

Oh Wow Man!! That is devastation.:eek: :eek: You have my sympathies. Palma is one of my favorite small cities. That hat is not easily had.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust