Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A backwards Portis...

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That hat is just too goodlookin' on you, DJ, you're probably smiling because you're happy! Baron's right though, a serious collector, such as one we know and love, should wear a serious face as you amass a collection of hats that number like Orcs before Helm's Deep.

dean

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
aye, but you're not allowed to smile, though. In true homage to the man you have to look like you want to slaughter the camera . . .

bk

That, and I think I need to expand my vest & tie collection.

Douglas, you have a great variety of vests my friend. You should start a thread displaying some of those nice waitcoats.;)

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Well, I did a good cleaning with a small steamer and Scouts dark hat cleaner and it worked like a charm. No musty/smokey odor and the finish is as soft as a bunnies bum. The steam seemed to activate any stiffener in the crown and helped reshape and set the crown into the correct bash. The steam als helped remove a piece of clear tape they had on the sweatband without harming the leather. I just wonder if there is any of the "Swansback Water Repelency" left to the hat. The moth nibbles don't really stand out anymore unless you're looking for them, so the steam helped swell the fibers to mask thoes spots. :)

Cheers!

Dan

DOUGLAS

DJ, I 'm glad you were able to get the hat into shape. I think the more you wear it the more you will enjoy.
My clothing pales in comparision to Marc's, BK's and just about everyone else who posts in the suit and jackets sections. My tastes are not very clean when it comes to my wardrobe. I just try to look as put together as I can.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Douglas,

Still those are some very nice vests I see there. They compliment the hats you wear quite well. Me, I'm having a heck of a time finding good looking waistcoats.

Cheers!

Dan

jonbuilder

would you wear a hat bcakwards

I have a 7X CB that I reversed the crease front to back today because the of wear at the pervious front pinch, which is now the back of the hat. The new front brim has more snap and less wave. No one will ever know the sweat bow is now at the front of the hat. What do you guys think would you send the hat to Art to switch the ribbon or wear the hat as is with the ribbon on the right?
revesed crease
DSCN0041.jpg

DSCN0042.jpg

prior
DSCN0006.jpg

bamagal

New in Town
My mother started working for Portis Hats in the 1940's when she was sixteen. I have 3 hats she acquired while working for them in Michigan City, In. I'd like to sell them for her, although I'm 'in love' with one of them and on the fence. You can view them on Collectors Weekly under show and tell, not hard to spot, all original boxes also. Would appreciate feedback from lounge members!

Rick Blaine

My mother started working for Portis Hats in the 1940's when she was sixteen. I have 3 hats she acquired while working for them in Michigan City, In. I'd like to sell them for her, although I'm 'in love' with one of them and on the fence. You can view them on Collectors Weekly under show and tell, not hard to spot, all original boxes also. Would appreciate feedback from lounge members!

Hiya 'bama! :)

Nice hats- I'll call dibs on the tan, second from right- but all seriousness aside value, depends on size, condition & (to a lesser degree) provenance.

If what you have are size 7 1/4 or larger they would do ok, IMO.

bamagal

New in Town
I think we should consider the tan one yours as its in good shape, 7 3/8, comes with an original ticket and a mother still alive to tell the story of her role in the hat creative process. Heck, that could be priceless!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally