Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A backwards Portis...

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I got this one on OFAS today. They state that "Inside is backwards". It was just bashed backwards. Funny huh? I got this one because Art has a liking for the Portis hats, so I figure that if Art likes these hats they must be a nicely made lid. This one should clean up nicely and re-shape the right way no problem.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-PORTIS-Mens-Brown-Fedora-Hat-7-1-4-PIMP_W0QQitemZ110121028526QQihZ001QQcategoryZ14065QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

From the pictures it looks to have an over welt on the brim, then stitched. I can't wait to see this one. And I apologise in advance if I out-bid anyone here.
Does anybody here have a Portis, and could you tell me about the feel & quality of these hats? Like I said, I know Art digs on the Portis hats but I would love to hear from other Portis owners. Thanks for letting me share with you and thank you for looking.

Cheers!

Dan

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I wondered who got that one!

I was eyeing it, but I've been telling my wife I'll lay off the eBaying for a while. :p Should be a great hat for you once you get it turned around! Looking forward to seeing it properly bashed.

Cheers,
Tom

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You can see the finger imprints in the bash.

bf26_1.jpg

dean

Davidson

One of the Regulars
DanielJones said:
I got this one on OFAS today. They state that "Inside is backwards". It was just bashed backwards. Funny huh? I got this one because Art has a liking for the Portis hats, so I figure that if Art likes these hats they must be a nicely made lid. This one should clean up nicely and re-shape the right way no problem.

It isn't a backwards bash. A female is wearing the hat in the picture, and to paraphrase Kevin Costner from Bull Durham, "the bow goes on the right, big guy":)

deanglen

Davidson said:
It isn't a backwards bash. A female is wearing the hat in the picture, and to paraphrase Kevin Costner from Bull Durham, "the bow goes on the right, big guy":)

But Davidson, the little tie thing that doesn't tie anything is in the front in the inside shot...and that can't be right, unless I've been wearing all my hats wrong,which is entirely possible. I think. But then again...

EricH

One of the Regulars
I've got several of the Portis hats. Mine run from a vintage of I would guess the first in a late 30's to early 40's and the other two in mid and late 40's range. They are all fine hats of good quality, fine lines and remind me of the best of the Lee's/Marathons. The best of the three hats is the oldest. It is a dark navy wide brimmed and exceptional felt and detailing. I would have more Portis hats were it not for the other loungers now seeking them. But, I will not begrudge those who won fair and square. Enjoy the hat!

Eric
Oh yeah, my best Portis I won on Ebay....99¢ :p

AlanC

I saw that auction, and figured it must be bashed backwards. Congratulations!

Tango Yankee said:
I was eyeing it, but I've been telling my wife I'll lay off the eBaying for a while.

With all your recent positive experience I can't imagine why! ;)

Jay

Practically Family
deanglen said:
But Davidson, the little tie thing that doesn't tie anything is in the front in the inside shot...and that can't be right, unless I've been wearing all my hats wrong

I figured it out. The hat is bashed facing the wrong way is all. As in the brim's turned down the back and up in front and pinched to match.

Silly Ebay Salesmen(or women)...

DOUGLAS

Congrats DJ, That is a grand hat. I have a few,I was wearing one today actually. They are a finely made hat. Portis is one of my top three hat makers. You will enjoy it. How rare to find one with the tag in the front;)

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
You know, from the shot of the liner, it almost looks like someone has been wearing the hat backwards -- it looks like it narrows toward the front -- uh, I mean, back. Glad to see that this vintage Portis was identified as a "PIMP" hat -- do you think that's the model name?:D

Anyway, Daniel -- way to go!

Cheers,
JtL

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
The funny thing is, that wearing a hat backwards, be it a fedora or a western hat, is not all that uncommon. Just about every year I go to our California Mid-State Fair I see plenty of folks wearing a new cowboy hat backwards.lol A few of them I inform of their fashion fau paux, others I just watched for the entertainment value. They strut around the Fairgrounds like they're a real cowboy, while the Real McCoys are giving themselves whiplash when they do a double take to see this sight. It's usually the obnoxious ones I let go that way, the nicer folks will get the friendly lesson in hats.
Most folks out there really wouldn't know the difference between the fore or aft of a hat unless it was a baseball cap, and even then it is questionable.
I've even seen hats in antique stores bashed like this, most of them were too small for me but they were fairly nice regardless. It just makes buying hats this way fairly interesting, and just makes one smile.:) To think, that common knowledge for something as simple as a hat could be so easily lost in such a short amount of time as one generation.

Cheers!

Dan

Doh!

One Too Many
Maybe the original owner was just ahead of the curve: if today's ballcaps are worn backwards in order to look "cool" maybe he was trying the same thing.

Backwards or not, though, I love the hand-bashed look. It looks like it was done with love.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Very cool hat. I think it's interesting that the seller thought that the backwards bash was something rare and unique, not just a mistake someone had made.

AlanC

Dinerman said:
Very cool hat. I think it's interesting that the seller thought that the backwards bash was something rare and unique, not just a mistake someone had made.

'Rare and unique' sells better than 'mistake'.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Ask, and ye shall receive...

Well, it showed up today!:) That was faster than I thought too. The color is a grey/mauve with a blue-grey ribbon & wind trolley. The felt is in pretty good shape except for some moth nibbles (those cursed moths:rage: ). I think a little steam & a light brushing should swell those areas enough to be not overly noticable.
The backwards bash popped right out and it took a bash the right way fairly easy. It had been backwards for quite some time so I think a little stem is in order to relax the grease in the back of the crown. No huge odors, a tad smoky/musty but I think a little steam & some Properts cleaner combines with some fresh air should take care of that.
It was made for "Hittle's Men's Wear" in Lansing IL. The price tag is still in tact at $10.00, and there is a sweat barrier under the sweatband.
The brim has an over welt that is stitched & the brim width is 2 7/8". The logo in the crown says Portis, "Fashioned by Hand" & "Swan's Down Finish".
All in all it is a fairly nice hat that still has many years of life left in it.
Here are a few images that I snapped this evening.

IM000039.jpg

IM000041.jpg

IM000042.jpg

IM000047.jpg

The DOUGLAS style mug shot.;)
IM000046.jpg

The images show it much lighter & more grey. It actually has more of a dark mauve color to it. Thanks for looking gang.:D

Cheers!

Dan

AlanC

Great hat.

I think everyone should be required to post a pic that should henceforth be known as 'the Douglas shot' or simply 'the Douglas'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally