Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A 1940's - PULLOVER Suit Jacket? What is this thing?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
This turned up recently at a vintage clothing shop. I'm mystified.
Heavy gray wool.
The "jacket" is a pullover model. There are zips at the sides of it. I thought it was perhaps made for a woman, but the tag was from an obviously male maker (no pic of the tag - drat). It had an early 40's date tag inside it. It is not homemade.
The trousers had DEEP pleats, and cuffs, wide legs, quite full cut. i would have bought it for the uniqueness and the great trousers but the price was more than I could stomach, around $300.

What is this?? I'll be happy to answer any questions as well as I can remember.

photo-10.jpg

Those are on-seam breast pockets on each side. Note button cuffs like a casual jacket.

photo-11.jpg

Pleats in jacket back. See the short zip at the side/bottom?

photo-12.jpg

Trousers were fantastic. Dropped loops, self waist, very drapey. Here you can see the jacket lining also.
photo-14.jpg
[/

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Wild. It immediately made me think of something Paulie might have worn in the pre-track-suit days.
paulie%20(2).jpg

marineabilly

A-List Customer
Definitely 40's / early 50's. The slacks have typical characteristics of "Hollywood" style, i.e. drop belt loops, seamless waist, saddle/tic stitching along the pant leg... The shirt has an "Italian" swoop collar, hiddent chest pockets along the seam. The chest seem appears to have the same saddle/tic stitching accross the front. My best guess that, although, it's not "home made," is that it's probably custom made. The shirt is typical of a "Sir Jac" brand - I owned a wool Sir Jac short sleeve very similar to this long sleeve. Depending on the conidtion - mothing on the wool, rips, tears, odor, etc. I wouldn't pay any more than 150-200 for it. The slacks are great, though - nothing special (print, flecks, texture...) Probably a weekend outfit to hang out with.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
A close up of the label and the fly zipper would tell us a lot. If it's a metal zipper it's old, if nylon, then not so old. I have a vague feeling I saw outfits like that in the early 60's.

marineabilly

A-List Customer
I totally agree that zippers and tags would help in determining... but the trousers are at least early 50's making the outfit at least that old. I've been collecting for over 15 years and as I'm not a betting man, I'll definitely bet that these aren't 60s

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It is definitely in the style of Sir Jac shirts, or this one I have here, made by Sportsman in the 50's.

IMG_2545.jpg

I do own a few pullovers that have side zippers as well, heavier than shirts, so I guess they are "jacket-like.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
dhermann1 said:
I have a vague feeling I saw outfits like that in the early 60's.
I had one then, in brushed denim with a leather laced throat closure.. :eek:

As for the outfit above: I've seen a family photo, taken at our farm in the late 40's, with one of my uncles wearing virtually the exact same outfit. I think that my father may have had one as well but I don't recall him ever wearing it, at least not in the city.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Hmmm . . . 2 buttons on the cuffs, pleats onthe back of the shirt. I'll bet you're right that it's from the 40's. If it has a metal zipper (which I'll bet it does) that will confirm it.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Jacket could be seventies, but with the pants, no way. Definitely late forties to fifties.

I have never seen one, but have seen similar with more conventional lounge jackets.

I would say that the price is not out of line, due to rarity, but doubt many people would buy it. The reason is that it is not a sharp two tone gaberdine style, or something like that. It isn't like the style Howard Hughes wore. It does not conjure up vintage images because it is so rare, plus the casual style would probably make it look rather like pajamas.

I might buy it if it fit and was cheap enough, but don't know when I would ever wear it.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
~

It really said Ricky Ricardo to me. The zips in the side of the pullover were definately metal but I don't recall looking at the zip on the pants. The fabric was utterly perfect - no damage. Tonight when I stop by the shop I will ask if she sold it.

marineabilly

A-List Customer
flat-top said:
It is definitely in the style of Sir Jac shirts, or this one I have here, made by Sportsman in the 50's.

IMG_2545.jpg

I do own a few pullovers that have side zippers as well, heavier than shirts, so I guess they are "jacket-like.

Ha!! Flat-Top, I had a pullover just like that except my front yoke was different shades of grey plaid design and it had a Sir-Jac label. I think this is the same concept where the cable knits were made and distributed to different companies back in the 40's/50's and compay tags were added later. I unloaded it during a trade with Brian "Snappygabs" years ago with other items for two great Hollwood jackets (one belted).

Okay, here's my other two cents on this outfit: The pants are definitely 40's/early 50's. On a good e-Bay day and in mint condition, the pants would fetch 100-150 (tops). The shirt, on the other hand, is nothing to write home to Mama about. Alone, it may fetch 30-50 bucks on e-bay. That's why together, I don't thing it's worth any more than 200.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
marineabilly said:
Ha!! Flat-Top, I had a pullover just like that except my front yoke was different shades of grey plaid design and it had a Sir-Jac label. I think this is the same concept where the cable knits were made and distributed to different companies back in the 40's/50's and compay tags were added later. I unloaded it during a trade with Brian "Snappygabs" years ago with other items for two great Hollwood jackets (one belted).

Okay, here's my other two cents on this outfit: The pants are definitely 40's/early 50's. On a good e-Bay day and in mint condition, the pants would fetch 100-150 (tops). The shirt, on the other hand, is nothing to write home to Mama about. Alone, it may fetch 30-50 bucks on e-bay. That's why together, I don't thing it's worth any more than 200.

Well, I don't disagree as far as value, but I would say that pants like this don't bring much on ebay unless they are really long or big or maybe white. Maybe $30 tops. The shirt wouldn't bring much either, being more of a late fifties style. Maybe thirty or forty depending on size.

But the two together might bring a lot more due to rarity. If it were really big, i could see $300 maybe if two bidders got into a bidding war. But I agree that it would bring about $200 otherwise. But you can not value it as pants and shirt. The combo adds a lot of value.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
I would totally rock this look, great find!

marineabilly said:
I unloaded it during a trade with Brian "Snappygabs" years ago with other items for two great Hollwood jackets (one belted).

We should play a version of six degrees of separation called "garments we sold/bought/traded/refused to sell to Snappygabs."

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
scotrace said:
This turned up recently at a vintage clothing shop. I'm mystified.
Heavy gray wool.
The "jacket" is a pullover model. There are zips at the sides of it. I thought it was perhaps made for a woman, but the tag was from an obviously male maker (no pic of the tag - drat). It had an early 40's date tag inside it. It is not homemade.
The trousers had DEEP pleats, and cuffs, wide legs, quite full cut. i would have bought it for the uniqueness and the great trousers but the price was more than I could stomach, around $300.

What is this?? I'll be happy to answer any questions as well as I can remember.

photo-10.jpg

Those are on-seam breast pockets on each side. Note button cuffs like a casual jacket.

photo-11.jpg

Pleats in jacket back. See the short zip at the side/bottom?

photo-12.jpg

Trousers were fantastic. Dropped loops, self waist, very drapey. Here you can see the jacket lining also.
photo-14.jpg
[/

Interesting piece; is it a suit? Afraid not, it's a casual leisure type of outfit from the mid 1950s. See the collars? They are spread and not very long or sharp. This style was popular in the 50s. and can be seen in many catalogs from the period.

The pants look to be Hollywood waisted… that fashion came out in the late 1930s and continued into the early 1960s.

Neat piece, enjoy it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe