Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

8 panel hat...Need suggestions???

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
Hello folks,
I am looking for an 8 panel hat and wanted to get your suggestions on quality brands that I should check out and any suggestions you might have for me.
Thanks,
Ben

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
B! Wear Cap

Several members have mentioned them in previous posts. I tried one and like it very well. First cap I've had with a leather sweat band (Biltmore Bob Special). Anyway, just my two bits.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Hear, Hear

I love my B!Wear cap. Brett knows his stuff and is a peach to work with. And you cannot beat the price. I'm glad cooler temps are near so I can wear mine more often!
b_wear1.jpg

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
B!Wear is great. Another good option is Hat People

I have hats from both and I can never decide which I like more. Sometimes I reach for my B!Wear and sometimes my Hat People.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
B! wear is the cap of choice. Well made and a good selection of materials. Hat People in Oregon makes a good serviceable cap with many choices. It took about a month for my Hat People cap to arrive,so if you're in a hurry go for B!Wear. You should receive it in only a couple of days. Post some pics with your choice. Cheers!

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Ok...

In all the old photos that I have seen and all the old caps that I have seen, the caps have had the panels configured with one seam down the center. The caps that Brett make have a fabric stiffener in the bill that lends itself to a gentle curl anyway. And I like to roll the cap for storage when I'm out and about (fits nicely in a pocket that way, can't do that with a wire in the bill). I forgot to mention that I prefer my caps without the snap also. While I understand vintage caps came with snaps, I feel that I can get a better drape sans snap. These are just my personal preferences you understand, and your milage may vary.

Brett will work with you in whatever configuration you desire.

Canadave

One Too Many
Ahhh...

Great, thanks. I get it now.

Biltmore Bob said:
...Brett will work with you in whatever configuration you desire.

According to earlier posts, he'll even work with your own fabric that you send him, right?

Cool!

David

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
Scotrace,
I saw that photo you posted here also on the B! Wear site and really liked the cut of that cap. Can you tell us what is different about that one as Bret said it is a custom cap? It appears to have a longer bill than some of the others. Do all the B! Wear hats have the leather sweatband? Does anyone else have photos of themselves wearing the hat?
Thanks guys,
Ben

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Simple changes

He put in a leather sweat for me, and centered the seam in front (rather than having a panel at center). That's it - the rest is standard.

I think the bill looks longer because I rolled it.

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Cap Sweatband

The hat i purchased recently has a smooth leather sweatband. He asked whether I wanted suede or smooth leather. I assume you would have that option also.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
If you find some fabric you like, send him a half yard and he will make you a cap. I discovered that you need some substantial fabric to make a good cap. I sent him some cotton twill that was rather light weight, while Brett did a fine job on the construction, There was not enought weight for it to properly drape. I also sent him some raw undyed denim and that turned out to be a fine hat (picture a kind of cream painters dropcloth material). My experience is that there has to be some weight.

By the way his bills are a little narrower and a little longer than what I have seen standard. At first it didn't look right, but now the others dont look right.

Sorry no pictures at this time.

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
DanielJones said:
BlackGrass: See my post above for a link to some of my pictures. Not the greatest taken but the show the hat off nicely.

Cheers!

Dan

I did see those....I was just hoping to check out some more and see some different colors.
Thanks!

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
You guys may be on to something here . A custom made cap for 30$ . Sounds too good to be true. I have a cap from Johnathan Richards that I thought was good.I paid a lot more for it though . I might give those B guys a call.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I am a B!Wear fan, also, and have 5 B!Wear caps, two linens, a corduroy, and two wool. If you want to see me in one of my wool caps, go to Bretts website, scroll to the bottom and click on his gallery of customers. Somewhere down the line you will see a happy old gal wearing one of her caps.

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rand S